Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys get at the inner tire on the dually?

Another pee p[oor design by the dodge boyss........
After 18 years i might have solved this, but i would like to see what everyone else has done
thanx

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,032 Posts
So.....do you actually think “Dodge” designed the dual rear wheel?

In any event....having the proper tire chuck and proper orientation of the valve stems goes a long way in checking air pressure easily.

I‘ve never had any problems checking tire pressure on any of my RAM dually trucks....and I’m on number four.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't even get my hand between the tries to gee anything dwn in there.!
Now, did Dodge design this ?LOL
IDK, but they used it, and like almost everything they do, it s a crappy idea.
They should have long stems on the inside dual and a wheel on the outside so as to be able to reach it as a regular truck wheel has.

·
Unregistered
26,321 Posts
No need to get a hand in between the tires. Go to a truck stop or a shop that deals with trucks and you'll see how they do it, and how simple it is.

Screwing on an extension could help, like the standard ones on Rams, but they're not necessary.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have know owned about 10 semi trucks, I know how they do it. This is not like it at all

·
Unregistered
26,321 Posts
I have know owned about 10 semi trucks, I know how they do it. This is not like it at all
Hmm, I've only owned complete trucks, and semi trailers. Maybe there's a difference?

Anyway, what is it on your Dodge that is so different from all the tractor trailers and other dual wheel applications?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back to the dodge....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You folks can jack the crap out of most arguments !
A full truck is a truck, in most cases if it is a semi, or a full truck, as they use the same tires and wheels.
So it was a moot point even to table it.
Yes, i posted a tractor and have owned plenty.
further-
I will post a pic of my wheels on the POC Dodge tomorrow.
My next-door neighbor has to pull the outside duals off his chevy to check his inside tire pressure. Some pickup wheels are just a biotch, nothing to do with semi trucks, full trucks, or even UFOs

·
Unregistered
26,321 Posts
A truck, by definition, is built to put cargo on. Like a pickup, or even hand truck. A tractor on the other hand is made to pull things with. Semi trailers, full trailers, hay bailers, whatever.
Didn't they cover that in your CDL handbook?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing why/how your rear duals are so different from normal setups.

Reactions: Max Tune

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will get a pic in the day light, its not genius, but works

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
2007 Laramie 3500 5.9L DRW Crewcab LB 4x4 48re 4:10 FASS165 G&R Sump Pacbrake PRXB 31k miles
115 Posts
My setup:

1. Steel valve stems
2. Inner tire stem extension (not outer) from commercial tire shop.
3. Double seal inflate-through valve caps on all tires.
4. Milton S-986CBNT or similar. The bent bottom chuck for outer tires.
I use the Milton straight chuck with attached hose for airing. Don't waste my time using the clip on type.
5. Less then two minutes to check all tires and the inner is easiest because of extension. Had tires re-balanced after the additions. No air loss after this setup.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If using the original steel wheels, they may include slots that should be aligned with each other when installing the inner and outer wheels. This may help gaining access to the inner valve stem easier. The Milton tool as suggested is a good idea too. Or a Nitrogen fill perhaps.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't believe the amount of anger displayed here, and we haven't even finished the first page.
You must be under 40?
Where men cant say what is on their mind?
There is no anger here at all.
Period.
I find the skinny jean crowd, man boys living at home with mum, some going bald, some with man buns, have a hard time communicating basic thought without their feelin getting hurt.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had this thing SOOoooo long i forgot it is not stock wheels on it.
But this is the way i do it.

Attachments

·
Unregistered
26,321 Posts
You have better access to the inner valve stem than I do with the factory aluminum wheels. Aka genuine imitation Alcoa wheels.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My double-stem outer wheel solved the problems for me .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts