Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short the driver side rear wheel bearing gave way and ruined the axle tube. I've been looking for a used one complete just to swap into the truck. I cannot for the life of me find one for a 2012. I can find 2013 and up or 09 to 10. Will these years work if I get the correct gear ratio? What are the differences?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I feel for ya... $$$!!. The same thing happened on the driver side of a friends 03 dually, plus it broke the axle when the tube got hot enough to bend. He had his truck towed from Gila Bend to Avondale Dodge. The dealer couldn't find a good axle in a junkyard so they replaced the housing, axle and all the bearings. I remember it costing at least $5000, maybe more. Junk yards are usually good at telling you what parts will fit from other years. Good luck! Craig

·
Registered
6,099 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Long story short the driver side rear wheel bearing gave way and ruined the axle tube. I've been looking for a used one complete just to swap into the truck. I cannot for the life of me find one for a 2012. I can find 2013 and up or 09 to 10. Will these years work if I get the correct gear ratio? What are the differences?
In 09 AAM changed casting design. Pinion angle and spring perch width should be same as your 12 if you get a 09-13 year housing. I believe u-joint size was increased in the late 2013 model year, so those housings may work, albeit with a yoke change.

I have contracted repair services before, and for a cheap axle like the AAM 11.5, it's not worth it to have it repaired. Best just to grab a junkyard unit.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts