Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 long bed the super nice 53 block manual swapped

One of my friends truck rear end started clunking and the rear pinion nut fell off and driveshaft no visual damage to the rack and pinion but, chunks taken out of the lsd case I believe unsure if it would be ok or if I should start looking for a new rear end.

thanks for your time.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Helmet Bumper
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Organism Grass Bumper

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The housing is most likely fine. That's not much of an LSD - I thought they used a Powr-lok.

I would be careful what you spend on a ring, pinion, carrier, and labour... vs a complete used rear end.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
thats not an lsd, thats an open diff. the tracklocks have closed off sides, teeth that mesh on the two halves. either this truck had a downgraded factory option or someone swapped it??
id upgrade it if it were me but either way, a usa gear rebuild kit and new carrier is not expensive. few hundred. the rebuild can be done in an hour if you know what your doing or a day if you dont.

the parts of the photo id like to see more of are out of focus. looks like the carrier is cracked or large chunks out of it?? could be reflection? you have a lot of schmoo on the magnet either way. id pull the carrier/pinion and check your races for heavy wear tracks. betting you need a rebuild.

when i did both my axles i think i spent about 2500.00 and that was full rebuilds with gearing change and selectable locker installs as well as a cad delete up front. call randys ring and pinion, they have good deals on the phone

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
No "rack" in a rear end. NCC is right. Gears might be fine. Pinion bearings asresurely gone mayhbe a lot more. Has to come apart and be checked thoroughly checked. If you do not have a clue, go very slowly with help and better pics for here. Otherwise pay an expert.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a very similar incident, many years ago, with a Dana 60. The pinion nut came loose and the pinion moved back and contacted the carrier, I tightened it back up and waited till I had time to get around to fixing it right. Two years later, everything was fine, until the pinion shed two teeth and poked a hole in the rear cover. Upon closer inspection, the teeth ended up in the upper oil passage and did not go through the gears. After tearing it down, I could see fractures in the end of the pinion gear. So, I got lucky, sort of, in that things didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. I wouldn't even have noticed, had there not been gear oil all over the back of the truck. No noise, nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts