Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the metal bracket near the middle U-joint holds a rubber bushing that absorbs some slop. What is the spec, or better yet, how much slop is to be expected in this area? And how much is too much....?

Because this area might be suspect to some strange goin... on in the rear?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, J

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
its called a carrier bearing, if your driveline is vibrating or have any vibrations from under the truck or rear, then its probably time for a new one.

Reactions: J REED '98 6BT

·
Registered
625 Posts
Basically, no slop is right, though you might be able to compress the rubber a bit if you push hard.

Replace it! Cost is minimal and replacing will help your u-joints and pinion seal and bearing to last for a while.

BTW, that is not the "carrier bearing". The carrier bearing is the bearing (well, 2) inside the differential that support the gear carrier. The bearing on the driveshaft is the driveshaft center bearing.

NAPA number: BRG HB165010

Reactions: J REED '98 6BT

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is, I started noticing the slop at the same time I drained and freshed my dana 80. I thought I had other things goin on...with my limited slip. But she has been acting as if a BAD u-joint at low speed only. It all is making sense now. Thanks for the help !!!!

:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts