Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me......how much play there is suppossed to be in the rear drive shaft? when in park, on level ground, without any tension on the shaft, I can turn the shaft about 3/8 of an inch. i am noticing a clunking noise when i stop and go. all my U-joints appear ok. just trying to narrow down my search. also may need to look at my brakes and make sure everything is tight there. If you can.....someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks. By the way, it is a 2 pieced shaft with a carrier bearing>

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i have it narrowed down to the rear brakes. almost seems like they release 1/2 a second after the front when i leave a stop sign or light. i may change them to see what happens. I have narrowed away from the trans, drive shaft, rear end etc. due to the fact, when i ease to a stop, it doesnt do it. only when it is a harder stop, they hang a bit. any input is welcome though Thanks!!!

· Premium Member
6,209 Posts
i had an old chevy truck that the back brakes seemed sticky an they would lock up when i applied the brakes when going slow..... the slack in the driveshaft is normal IMO. all the DS that i have messed with has just a little slack like your were talking about

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way i am really digging your new ride......i want a new dually soo bad i cant sleep at night. but not til H&S have everything figured out. Dodge reallyy did it with the enterior on thiese new trucks. The exterior is really growing on me tooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.