Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks -newbie Cummins fan here. I bought an 02 3500 with the six spd manual trans, 4WD, with a utility bed. First thing i did was take it to a guy in Tennessee who made me a pretty aluminum flatbed with a gooseneck to haul my boat. The truck has 205,000 miles. While driving it back, it sounded kinda whiny in the rear end, so i decided to change the differential fluid. Popped off the cover, only about 2 cups of fluid was in there.:( Serviced it up to the proper level, and amazingly, it quieted down, for about 2 weeks. Now, its real quiet. Something blew inside. I limped home in 4WD high and sure enough, in 2wd the driveshaft is turning, but the wheels do not. Now what?
1) Do I take it to the dealer, and bend over?
2) Buy a rebuilt entire axle assy, and remove and replace?
Rebuilding this rear end looks like a big job. I could handle a remove and replace in my drive I think.
Seems to be 4:10 rear end, 4WD, 6 sp MT. The diff had a tag on it with these numbers-
52069491AJ
4:10
606713-4

Any suggestions?

·
On call 24/7
12,412 Posts
Check local yards or craigslist for a new used complete rear end would be my choice

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Dont take it to a dealer. If you can fork the cash for new yoke and pinion or like todays society drop it on a card and pick up some OT. Just replace it Depending on your location it could be easy or hard to find a replacement one. If you have a friend that can drive you to a rebuilder bring them the parts and new seals and they can rebuild it for half the cost of what the stealership will cost you.

I paid 1800 years ago to replace my vp44 because I though it was hard and just replaced my headgasket removing everything and I look back and said s hit that was easy I could saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rebuilding that diff is easy enough provided you have some tool and knowledge of how to do it. If not, it’ll cost ya about 12-1800 depending on if the carrier is still good.

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
Correct , any of the above except the dealer. If you need a shop find a 4x4 or differentials only shop. Check glove box for model and if it is limited slip. Should be Dana 80, not 70. and probably antispin/limited slip. Maybe Yukon parts for replacement parts.

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
Used can be fine if the right good one is available.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rebuilding that diff is easy enough provided you have some tool and knowledge of how to do it. If not, it’ll cost ya about 12-1800 depending on if the carrier is still good.
Easy enough yeah, but he won't like the cost of the tools REQUIRED to do this job. Like torque wrenches (maybe more than 1), pinion holding tool, pinion depth setting took kit, micrometer to measure the shims, housing spreader to get the required shims in place, big sockets and a magnetic dial indicator set up to measure the carrier end play (to come up with the shim pack and use the spreader to put them it). May be more but I'm loosing my train of thought, LOL. OP should find a rebuilt unit imo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Freightdogfreddy, rebuilding the diff is not a complicated job, but as said you will need a few tools not in the normal too chest. I removed the Dana 70 4:10 LS diff from my 2000 2500 (4:10 is just too short for my needs). Diff is in great shape, and taking up space in the garage. Not sure where you are, I am in NorCal and can deliver within reason. Not sure what it is worth but if interested make a reasonable offer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry forgot to add, I found a replacement on craigslist for less than new gears so R&R the assembly was the fix for me. Now I have a boat anchor in the garage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts