Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 02 2500 HO. My rear pinion seal is out and I don't really know if it is a 60,70,or80. I see the ID tag but it just has a bunch of numbers. I assume the 3.54 is the ratio, but what is the rest about?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2002 2500 as well and had the same thing happen to me. On a non-dually it is usually a 70 and on duallys it is an 80. Once you replace the seal be sure to check your diff breather isn't clogged. When it is clogged pressure builds up in the axle and the easiest way for it to exit is through the pinion seal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dealer can run your VIN and give you factory specs. That is how I found out I had a Dana 80 as my rear.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It should be listed on the info plate under the engine hood. A lot of Dana 80's were also placed in the manual transmission models.... so I lucked out!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mines an 80 also

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think the 80 is pretty common behind the HO motors and manuals. i have the 70 in my auto. it says on the under side of my hood

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
also says in the glove box, and its stamped in huge numbers on the diff, if you look where the casting goes from the pinion area to the main section, theres a "web" on each side, looks like a gusset, its stamped on there

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, check in the glove box. Have a pic?

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts

tho the casting numbers are usually on the reverse side of that web, or on one of the other 3

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
diff

Thanks guys. I found it in the glove box. It's an 80 in the rear and 60 in the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts