Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there are any secrets or tricks to relacing the rear brakes on my 98.5 2500 diesel? Doing the front ones was a B*@#H!! Messed up my seals and caused a bigger problem than I already had. Any help or suggestions would be great. The truck is new to me so I dont know alot about it yet.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
No, there are no real tricks on the rear, just your common drum brakes with E-brake cables...BUT if they will not slide off once you have backed off the shoes, do not be hesitant to get out the BFH to assist you with removal.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How do you back off the rear brakes, isnt there a little star wheel in behind there that you have to turn with a screwdriver or something????

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
yes there is a star wheel that allows you to loosen the pads from aginst the drum. you get to it from the back sid e off the drum brakes behind a black rubber plug.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Penetrating oil is your friend on the drum, and a wood block with a big... hammer is the way to go. The brakes on mine are a real blast, count your blessings. :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
no tricks, but if you have the right tools for the springs, you're way ahead. the springs are the hardest part imo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts