Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this weekend I have mentally prepared myself for changing the rear brake pads, e-brake shoes and re-machining the discs. The thought of saving $750 CAD:wow: by not having the stealership do it helped a little there. I now have them all dismantled and it went better than I thought it might. The wheels were a b***h to get off, :steam:rusted on to the hubs, I don't think they had ever been off since the truck was new.

Now, when I took the axle out, once I had unbolted the flange at the end, some oil ran out.

Question 1:- where does this come from, is it some of the oil from the diff? Should I be putting some oil back in the bearing housing when I re-assemble it, or just take the opportunity to change the oil in the diff and re-fill it?

Question 2:- when I re-assemble the disc/hub/bearing housing, is it best to put the hub seal in the housing and then put the housing onto the stub axle; or put the seal onto the stub axle and then put the housing on over it?

Question 3:- how do the pads come out of the calipers? There are some odd looking pressed steel clips at the ends, I am guessing that these come off in some fashion to let the pads come out.

Before anyone advises me to buy a Haynes manual, I already have and the section dealing with brakes has pictures and text that refer to a 1/2 ton, which doesn't look anything like the rear brakes on my 1 ton dually! :confused: Nor is there an appendix or another page dealing with 1 tons or duallies! :mad:

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
#1 - If you haven't changed the rear diff lube, now would be a good time. And yes, the lube that you lost comes from the diff. Once you refill the rear end, jack up on side of the truck so the oil can run to the outer end of the axle, repeat for the other side.

#2 - I installed everything just as it came off.

#3 - Sorry, I remember the metal clips, but not what I did to remove and install them.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips BBRam. I finally got it all done Sunday afternoon. I packed the bearings with MD grease as that was what the manual said to do; so far all seems fine, apart from my aching back, shoulder, knuckles, fingertips etc etc. However, the physical discomfort is offset by that nice feeling of keeping $800 in the bank rather than giving it to the dealership.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for the tips BBRam. I finally got it all done Sunday afternoon. I packed the bearings with MD grease as that was what the manual said to do; so far all seems fine, apart from my aching back, shoulder, knuckles, fingertips etc etc. However, the physical discomfort is offset by that nice feeling of keeping $800 in the bank rather than giving it to the dealership.
moon, I'm not sure but i don't think that those bearings are to be greased. they get their lube from the rear diff. lube as bbram has taked about.

jim

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
Hey Jim. :hi:

I have heard of some people greasing the bearings just enough to maintain them until the gear lube has reached them. Though I have not done it that way. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanx Brian....that makes sense but ya probably wouldn't want to over do it and prevent the gear lube from doing its job.

Jim

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it said to do that in the manual so that's what I did. It can't do any harm and I didn't want to risk running them dry by any chance before the diff lube managed to get around there.

Thanks again for the advice guys

·
Registered
128 Posts
What size is that axle nut?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts