Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04.5 rear brakes are dragging / sticking intermitantly. I first had the problem with the front brakes dragging, so the rebuilt the fronts, everything. Then the problem moved to the right rear. New pads, rotor, calipers, and lines. One trip your fine the next your doggish and smelling pads. You let everything cool and you good to go. The only thing I have not replaced is the master cylinder, hydroboost or ABS systems. Any thoughts. :banghead:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,803 Posts
did you use reman calipers? and did you get "loaded" calipers or just bare calipers and toss some pads on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were not loaded calipers. I can't remember if they were reman. I think new. I got all the parts at Napa. All lifetime parts.

One other piece which might help. On one of the trips with the camper. We stopped the I could smell hot pads. My wife said the brake lights were on but no brake were being pressed on. After checking everything, fuses, relays, elec brakes. I noticed the brake pedel was down. I pulled up on the pedel, about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and the brake lights went out. This was the only time.

The problem happens empty or towing.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,803 Posts
Pedal not returning, is usually a problem with the hydroboost unit. When was the last time you flushed your powersteering system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brake fluid is good. The powersteering system has never been flushed. The sticking is intermitent. The pedel not returning only has happened once, I have been checking this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They were not loaded calipers. I can't remember if they were reman. I think new. I got all the parts at Napa. All lifetime parts.

One other piece which might help. On one of the trips with the camper. We stopped the I could smell hot pads. My wife said the brake lights were on but no brake were being pressed on. After checking everything, fuses, relays, elec brakes. I noticed the brake pedel was down. I pulled up on the pedel, about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and the brake lights went out. This was the only time.

The problem happens empty or towing.
I've had this same problem with my work truck ('06 3500, not listed in my sig because I didn't pay for it and it's completely stock, I just drive it). It gets incredibly annoying when towing a trailer with brakes that don't release until you pick up on the brake pedal manually. All 4 calipers are workin properly. I'm going to try to bleed the brakes out with fresh fluid this week and see if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.