Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the dana 70 axle used in these dodges a dana 70hd or a 70U

thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I called the dealer with my Vin #, and they should hook me up.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i believe the front and rear are different, the rear should be a AAM 11.5 (american axle)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sticker in glove box just says dana axle, not 70 or 80. i measured the axle tubes and there like 3.56" which means its a 70(i think) 80's are 4" right? autozone only shows a cover gasket for a 70u. so i guess thats what it is. U for undersized pinion bearings:CRY:

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a 99 and on the underside of the hood there is a sticker that says what axle is in the truck and geare ratio

·
Go for Broke
7,191 Posts
auto had the Dana 70 and 5 speeds had the Dana 80

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
sticker in glove box just says dana axle, not 70 or 80. i measured the axle tubes and there like 3.56" which means its a 70(i think) 80's are 4" right? autozone only shows a cover gasket for a 70u. so i guess thats what it is. U for undersized pinion bearings:CRY:
Are you looking for diff cover gaskets? :rof

Grab a tube of silicone and put a bead around the cover and slap it back on... I've been doing this for 6 years and never had a leak or a problem... As a matter of fact the dealer did some work on replacing a seal in the rear diff... They used silicone as well...:w:

Gasket??? :rof

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I agree, use silicone I just narrowed a dana 80 and I've set up axles for years always used silicone

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you looking for diff cover gaskets? :rof

Grab a tube of silicone and put a bead around the cover and slap it back on... I've been doing this for 6 years and never had a leak or a problem... As a matter of fact the dealer did some work on replacing a seal in the rear diff... They used silicone as well...:w:

Gasket??? :rof
WTF? what's up with the:rof no i'm not looking for a gasket!! i looked up autozone for what they had listed for the year of truck. showed a 70u which is what i wanted to know! was hoping that it wasnt a U. because i knew that meant small pinion bearing which = less tourqe capacity

·
Go for Broke
7,191 Posts

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
WTF? what's up with the:rof no i'm not looking for a gasket!! i looked up autozone for what they had listed for the year of truck. showed a 70u which is what i wanted to know! was hoping that it wasnt a U. because i knew that meant small pinion bearing which = less tourqe capacity
My bad... :rof:w:

·
Registered
349 Posts
There should be a tag on the diff cover, or stmped on the axle tube, a bunch of numbers and letters call a BOM (bill of materials) number. Find that, call West Coast Differentials and they can tell you what you have. The carrier bearings are different on a U and a HD, most likely you have a U.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is a chart that compares all of the different axles.
Differential identification charts

At the bottom is a diagram that shows where you can find these numbers. However, my BOM number is found on a metal tag attached to the differential cover with two cover mounted bolts (on the right side).

Once you have the BOM number, enter it here on Dana's website and it will tell you exactly what you have:
Axle Bill of Material

·
Registered
540 Posts
CAll me a noob, but I need to do a rear end fluid flush anyone able to post pics of where you fill the rear end up and how much of what fluid you would need for an 03 Diesel with the Auto tranny??? Also if any special tools were needed other than a ratchet/socket to remove the cover.

Sorry for the noob question but now that my dad passed I am kinda learning as I go, that is why I joined the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts