Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15K miles ago I had a wheel bearing failure. I replaced the hub and bearings and put in a new seal. A few days ago I noticed it was leaking again, pretty badly, so I put in a new seal. Then I got to wondering if I was doing something wrong and that's why the first one failed. I know you are supposed to pack the bearings because the hub will be dry of oil for a while but are you supposed to do anything about the seal being dry? I put grease on it where it slides onto the shaft but, if I understand this seal, the part that rotates is in the middle, it does not rotate on the shaft. Are you supposed to somehow oil it up?

·
Registered
565 Posts
There may have been too much grease on the inner seal when you installed it or it may have gone on slightly crooked. I had to do the bearings too over the summer and it took forever to get the hub to go in straight. And yes, I k ow how to install races.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I always put some grease on the seal lip and on the axle where the seal runs. I'm an old school trucker, I squeeze 5 gts in the diff and then I drive, both ways, down a steep road bank to make sure plenty of lube gets to the bearings. I never have brg or seal problems.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it was just bad luck. It was a Timkin seal. I put an SKF in it this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts