Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the original rear axle spindle nut with a upgrade kit QK4011 from QUAD 4x4. Has anyone had any issues with this kit? The torque for the two spindle nuts from the instructions is 50 ft lbs. then back off 1/4 turn to get recommended end play. My Haynes manual show a torque of 120 ft lbs. Do you think its because the original spindle nut is a nylock?:$:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Completed the axle bearing inspection, both sides looked good after 96,000 miles. The double nut system went together pretty well. Would recommend this kit if anyone is looking to inspect rear axle bearings. Also found out I need new rear pads.:$:

·
Registered
224 Posts
so is the original one nut torque spec 120lbs? trying to figure that out. the sheet I has says 80lbs but it is showing the two piece nut in the pic...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My experience with Timken/tapered roller bearings in general is the book instructions NEVER work. My method is to tighten the bearings until resistance is felt spinning the wheel, then back them off 'till it spins normally. This method forces the cone shaped bearings into line. Otherwise, they will not go into line, and once you load up the bearing, it will be loose. The 50 pounds and back it off is sort of similar, but I still would tighten it excessively and back it off first to make sure it is being adjusted with the rollers in place, not cocked. This also seats the races in case one is not in all the way.

This method has never failed me, the others regularly did, as well as failing my coworkers who followed the book. :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
alright...thanks alot I will do that... I just want to do it right... dont feel like working on my rear end any more. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts