Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman 4WD 122,000 miles. Bone stock powertrain, not under warranty.

I don't want to be long winded but I want to be thorough...

I've been fighting with P020 (various cylinders) and P026B injection timing codes since I got my truck in August 2020. The CEL comes and goes and it's usually pinging injection timing in a couple different cylinders. The truck runs and pulls fine with no smoke or fuel mileage issues. Every once in a while I get a slight hesitation at mild acceleration at a green light (0-5 mph). It's before it ever needs to shift to 2nd and it's really brief. It has maybe only happened 10 times in 4 months and you'd miss it if you we're really paying attention. I've tried to duplicate it and get it (the tach) in a video and it was so rare that I couldn't. But that's the only evidence of any performance issues.

I've torn through every post on CF regarding these 2 codes. And if it wasn't explained in the thread, I've PMed each of thread starters to see what their outcome was.

After all of the reading I was certain that it had to be the 18-037-16 service bulletin (I think that's the right TSB #) so I took it to the dealership and asked them to check it out and reflash the ECM if it hasn't been updated. They said that it was up to date and recommended that I change the fuel filters since they were at 18%. I did them that afternoon and the codes were back on the next week.

I left the truck with the dealership for 2 weeks in November 2020 and they started with a $740 low pressure fuel system test. They found that the in tank fuel pump had low output so they replaced it but the codes came right back on. They sent me home with a $1100 bill and bottle of Mopar Diesel Injector cleaner and told me to run it through the next 50 gallons of fuel and drive more aggressive than usual. Still the codes came on.

So I took it back to he dealership last Monday (11JAN2020) essentially begging that they double check for the service to ensure that we didn't miss anything. The tech was adamant that it was up to date and they said that they wanted to start with a $320 high pressure fuel so I said go for it. Since then, the service writer says that they've been waiting on a response from S.T.A.R. for guidance on what to do next. I did some googleing and I have no idea what S.T.A.R. is or if I even understood them correctly but obviously this has the diesel techs scratching their heads.

Which leads us to right now. I just received a quote for $5,886.93 for all 6 injectors, crossover tubes, a valve cover gasket, crankcase filter, intake filter & EGR crossover tube gaskets. With a "Deferred Service" quote for $10,084.97 for an injection pump if the injector don't fix it. I'm not really surprised with the price but the mass parts replacement tells me that no one has a solid answer. I'm a diesel and hydraulic mechanic in the Air Force so I know all about parts swapping until we fix it but it burns a lot more when you have to pay for it yourself. I have no intentions of letting them do the injectors and I'm trying to look for another Cummins tech but I live in a pretty sleepy area so the dealerships are usually it for serious diagnostic stuff.

From the beginning, I've been wondering if it was all electronic. Wouldn't swapping the ECM be an option before the injectors and fuel side? I was able to speak to the tech once and he said that something like this is "solely a fuel delivery issue". So I've taken their word for it so far. The farthest that I've gone is checking the connections for the ECM and valve cover gasket and they all look great.

They still have the truck and I haven't responded to the quote but I would really like some of your input.

Any help is really appreciate. Thanks CF!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My first thought was the integrated valve cover gasket/injector harness.

Take your truck to another dealer or better yet, if you have a really good diesel shop nearby that works on Cummins, take it to them. That dealer is throwing parts at it and will continue costing you money.

Back to my first suggestion, I had a similar thing happen for one injector. The injector connector at the valve cover was loose. Disconnected and reseated it and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ryan Reese

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh! As for the tech saying it's a fueling issue. I do not believe he troubleshooting your truck correctly. You would know if it's a fueling issue, because it wouldn't run fine as you mentioned.

For my truck I made certain it wasn't an injector going out by running an injector kill test. They all checked out just fine!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6.7L_MegaCab Thanks for the insight! I messed with those plugs a little bit a few months ago with no luck.

Over the past 48 hours, I've done nothing but think about digging into the electrical system more. I even looked into ECMs and finding a place to program one for me. I obviously told the dealership, "no thank you" and picked the truck up. Luckily I was able to speak directly to the Cummins tech and he was incredibly helpful explaining all of the tests they did and exactly what brought us to this point.

I now know that my situation is unique but I certainly hope it helps someone else that might get the P020 and P026B injection timing codes.

First he helped outline that service bulletin 18-037-16. Apparently it only addressed (along with a bunch of other stuff) the P020 A-F codes but it has nothing to do with P026B Injector Performance Timing and it only applied to 2015 models so my theory was already thrown out. He also added that he double checked and there was nothing else due for an update on the truck.

Since the P026B Injector Performance Timing was legitimately being thrown after the the "zero fuel test". (clear the codes, drive at 60 mph and let off the pedal for 10 seconds. repeat 10x). If the codes come back one then they're directed to start with a fuel pressure test on the low side. That's how the in tank lift pump was addressed in November. At the time the pumps output tested at 400ml, spec is 500ml and the new pump put out 600ml.

Since the codes came back on after the in tank pump replacement and the injector cleaner, they wanted to do the hi pressure test. This test showed "excessive return from injectors" with 230 ml - spec is 210 ml. Injection pump return was marginal at 1175 ml - spec is 1250 ml. And they strongly recommended that I look into changing the injectors. I was still highly skeptical but he believes that the fuel was contaminated at some point.

When I got the truck 4 months ago, the fuel filters looked pretty old. We're thinking that someone knew there was an issue, cleared the codes and traded it in.

So now I'm doing my research on changing the injectors. It seems like something that I'd take on at home but I still wouldn't mind any pointers. Since I have no performance or mileage issues, the tech said that I'd be fine clearing the codes and put it off for a little bit.

Does 230ml (spec being 210ml) sound like "excessive" return?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry for the belated reply. I had just had surgery when I first replied, which I probably should not have done as I realized I didn't read your entire post (missing the parts you mentioned and I suggested), but after careful consideration and now actually able to look into the service manual, I still don't think I am far off.

I am not seeing a TSB 18-037-16; the closest I see or 18-027-16 plus revisions A-C, none of which include anything related to your DTCs. Even a keyword search for your associated DTCs don't result any related TSBs.

In order to diagnose P026B, the manual explicitly states to diagnose/fix other DTCs before running the procedures for this one.

Since you are dealing with various/random injector issues (P020*) my first inclination is a wiring issue (I still think it could be the valve cover gasket). So taking a look at those codes in the service manual, here is what it says:

Theory of Operation

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) actuates the solenoid in the Fuel Injector causing the needle valve to rise and fuel flows through the spray holes in the nozzle tip into the combustion chamber. The PCM has a common internal driver circuit to all three Fuel Injectors on each bank. If any injector circuit on a given bank has a short to ground or a short to voltage, a DTC will be set for all three Fuel Injectors on that bank. Fuel Injectors 1,2,3 are grouped together on bank 1. Fuel Injectors 4,5,6 are grouped together on bank 2. The MIL lamp will light immediately after the diagnostic runs and fails. During this time the customer may experience engine surge or stumble. The MIL lamp will turn off once the diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.

• When Monitored:

Every 20 milliseconds when the ignition is on.

• Set Condition:

When the Fuel Injector current falls below a calibrated threshold.

Possible Causes
HIGH SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
LOW SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
HIGH SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
LOW SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
HIGH SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
LOW SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
DRIVER CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER
VALVE COVER PASS THROUGH HARNESS
FUEL INJECTOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)– ONLY WHEN ALL INJECTOR WIRING TESTS GOOD AND ALL 3 DTCS ON THE BANK ARE ACTIVE

The troubleshooting steps all involve checking for shorts/opens and specific resistances.

So, as far as the fuel flow return being excessive, I don't think so, but I haven't dug into those steps because you have what I believe an electrical issue that may be causing excessive fuel return per that technician.

When you are ready to embark on the diagnostics on your on, let me know and I'll post the steps. Have a good multimeter on hand, which I assume you do as you are already an Air Force diesel mechanic (nothing like after hours repairs - just saying ;) and assuming you have awesome supervisors)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solid info, thanks for the guidance. I'm very eager to learn and to find the right answer instead of throwing $3,000 injectors at it. I'm definitely ready to dig into the tests for shorts and resistance. So I have the multimeter ready.

If it matters, I've cleared the codes since I left the dealer on Wednesday. The CEL is still off with no current codes but I do see pending codes for P020 cylinders 2 & 5 (P026B is not yet thrown or pending). So I know that whatever it is isn't exclusive to just one bank or plug (cylinders 1-3 or 4-6).

I think I was wrong about the TSB #. It should be #18-034-17. But it does look like it only matters for 2015 models.

"SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation a technician may find one or more of the following DTCs set in the PCM memory:
Long list of DTCs... Then this...
. • P026B - Injection Timing Performance."

Hope everything went well with the surgery and I look forward to hearing back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
UPDATE (0843 MST): This is going to take a while. None of the steps directly state what the next step should be, nor are any of the steps numbered. For example, for Step 1, if the result is Yes, it should say to go to Step 2 or if No, Step 8 (this is where the similarity basically ends for a 2010 directly from the old CD directly from Tech Authority). I sent a message to the company as these steps need to be updated for 2013+ (yes I checked them all). So I copied the steps to word and trying to clean it up before posting the steps here. But I am working on it.

I appreciate it! It seems it went well. This was the second time for hip surgery to repair a torn labrum. the leg isn't nearly as sore as it was 20 months ago after the first surgery. Anyhow, enough about that; let's try to get your truck fixed.

It's almost always recommended to clear codes first, to see what comes back. If they don't, it's an intermittent condition. In this case, the SM recommends checking for active DTCs, however, I will always clear the DTCs first, just as you did, because the electronics/wiring in these trucks aren't necessarily bulletproof. Since you did that, I'm definitely leaning on the side of an intermittent condition of a wiring issue. This is even more solidified since P026B didn't return, which is more than likely because whatever is causing the other DTCs isn't a hard failure, thus the fuel return is normal now, but can increase when the other DTCs are causing the injectors to misbehave.

Procedures will follow. First for P0202 (which covers all of bank 1), then P0205 (covering bank 2)

·
Registered
451 Posts
P0202 (Bank 1) Troubleshooting Procedures

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

Ignition on, engine not running.

With the scan tool check for active DTCs.

Is the DTC active?

Yes

• Go To 2.
No

• Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. (Refer to DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).

2. CHECK EACH FUEL INJECTOR CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE

1. Turn the ignition off.​
2. Disconnect the PCM C1 harness connector.​
3. Measure the resistance between the:​

• (K11) Fuel Injector 1 High Side Driver circuit and the (K611) Fuel Injector 1 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K12) Fuel Injector 2 High Side Driver circuit and the (K612) Fuel Injector 2 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K13) Fuel Injector 3 High Side Driver circuit and the (K613) Fuel Injector 3 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
NOTE
Be sure to zero out the Ohm meter prior to checking the Fuel Injector circuit. Resistance reading should be between 0-1 Ohm.

Is the resistance between 0-1 Ohm for each Fuel Injector circuit?

Yes

• Go To 3.
No

• Go To 8.
3. CHECK EACH FUEL INJECTOR CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the:

• (K11) Fuel Injector 1 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K12) Fuel Injector 2 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K13) Fuel Injector 3 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
NOTE
There should be no continuity between the circuit and ground.

Is the resistance below 10k Ohms on any injector circuits?

Yes

• Go To 4.
No

• Go To 12.

4. CHECKING FOR INJECTOR CONTROL CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER

Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at each Bank 1 Fuel Injector terminal.

NOTE
Do not disconnect the valve cover pass through harness from the engine harness.

At the PCM C1 harness connector, measure the resistance between ALL (Bank 1) Low AND High Side Control circuits: K11(High 1), K611(Low 1), K12(High 2), K612(Low 2), K13(High 3), and K613(Low 3).

Is the resistance below 10k ohms between any Injector Control circuits?

Yes

• Repair the Injector Control circuits that are shorted together.
  • Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).
No

Go To 5.

5. ISOLATE CYLINDER 1 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the PCM C1 harness connector to the PCM.

Leave the valve cover pass through wires disconnected at the Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector terminals.

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 2 and 3 Fuel Injector terminals.

NOTE
Torque the Injector terminal nuts to 8.8 in-lbs.

Place electrical tape on the ends of the disconnected valve cover pass through wires to prevent the Injector terminal nuts from coming in contact with each other or the engine block.

Place the valve cover on the engine.

NOTE
It is not necessary to bolt the valve cover in place.

With the scan tool, erase all DTCs.

Start the engine and let idle for 1 minute.

With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are multiple bank 1 injector circuit DTCs (P0201, P0202, P0203) active?

Yes

• Go To 6.
No

• Replace the Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector in accordance with the Service Information.(Refer to Fuel System/Fuel Inspection/INJECTOR(S), Fuel/Removal)(Refer To List 2)
  • Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).

6. ISOLATE CYLINDER 2 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector terminals.

NOTE

Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 2 Fuel Injector terminals.

Place electrical tape on the ends of the disconnected valve cover pass through wires to prevent the injector terminal nuts from coming in contact with each other or the engine block.

NOTE

Yes

• Go To 7.
No

• Replace the Cylinder 2 Fuel Injector in accordance with the Service Information.(Refer to Fuel System/Fuel Inspection/INJECTOR(S), Fuel/Removal)(Refer To List 2)

7. ISOLATE CYLINDER 3 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the cylinder 2 fuel injector terminals.

NOTE
Torque the injector terminal nuts to 8.8 in-lbs.

Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the cylinder 3 fuel injector terminals.

Place electrical tape on the ends of the disconnected valve cover pass through wires to prevent the injector terminal nuts from coming in contact with each other or the engine block.

NOTE

Yes

• Replace the Powertrain Control Module in accordance with the service information.
No

• Replace the Cylinder 3 Fuel Injector in accordance with the Service Information.(Refer to Fuel System/Fuel Inspection/INJECTOR(S), Fuel/Removal)(Refer To List 2)

8. CHECK THE VALVE COVER PASS THROUGH HARNESS CIRCUIT

NOTE
Perform the following tests on the Fuel Injector circuit which was faulty. This is from the procedures in Step 2.

Disconnect the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector.

Measure the resistance between the Low Side Driver circuit and the High Side Driver circuit at the Valve Cover Pass Through connector terminals.

NOTE
Be sure to zero the Ohm meter prior to checking the Fuel Injector circuit.

Is the resistance between 0-1 Ohm?

Yes

• Go To 9.
No

• Go To 11.

9. CHECK THE HIGH SIDE CIRCUIT IN ENGINE HARNESS

Measure the resistance of the High Side Driver circuit between the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector and the PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE

Yes

• Go To 10.
No

• Repair the High Side Driver circuit for an open or high resistance.

10. CHECK THE LOW SIDE CIRCUIT IN ENGINE HARNESS

Measure the resistance of the Low Side Driver circuit between the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector and the PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE

Yes

• Test complete. Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. (Refer to DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).
No

• Repair the Low Side Driver circuit for an open or high resistance.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST - 6.7L. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).

11. CHECK THE FUEL INJECTORS

Disconnect all bank 1 Fuel Injector wires at the Fuel Injectors.

Measure the resistance across the terminals at the Fuel Injector.

NOTE

Yes

• Replace the Valve Cover Pass Through harness.
No

• Replace the Fuel Injector in accordance with the Service Information.(Refer to Fuel System/Fuel Inspection/INJECTOR(S), Fuel/Removal)(Refer To List 2)

12. CHECK FOR THE DRIVER CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER

Disconnect all bank 1 Fuel Injector wires at the Fuel Injectors.

Measure the resistance between all bank 1 Driver circuits at the PCM C1 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 10k Ohms between any circuits?

Yes

• Go To 13.
No

• Go To 14.

13. CHECK THE VALVE COVER PASS THROUGH HARNESS CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between all bank 1 Driver circuits of the Valve Cover Pass Through connector terminals.

Yes

• Replace the Valve Cover Pass Through harness in accordance with the service information.
No

• Repair the short between the bank 1 Driver circuits in the engine harness.

14. CHECK THE HIGH SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

NOTE
Perform the following tests on the Fuel Injector circuit which was faulty. This is from the procedures in Step 12.

Measure the resistance between ground and the High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 10k Ohms?

Yes

No

• Go To 15.

15. CHECK THE LOW SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.

Yes

No

• Go To 16.

16. CHECK THE FUEL INJECTORS

Measure the resistance between ground and one of the Fuel Injector terminals.

Yes

No

·
Registered
451 Posts
P0205 (Bank 2) Troubleshooting Procedures

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

With the scan tool check for active DTCs.

Is the DTC active?

Yes

• Go To 2.
No

2. CHECK EACH FUEL INJECTOR CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Disconnect the PCM C1 harness connector.

3. Measure the resistance between the:

• (K614) Fuel Injector 4 High Side Driver circuit and the (K14) Fuel Injector 4 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K38) Fuel Injector 5 High Side Driver circuit and the (K638) Fuel Injector 5 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K658) Fuel Injector 6 High Side Driver circuit and the (K58) Fuel Injector 6 Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
NOTE
Be sure to zero out the Ohm meter prior to checking the Fuel Injector circuit. Resistance reading should be between 0-1 Ohm.
Is the resistance between 0-1 Ohm for each Fuel Injector circuit?

Yes

• Go To 3.
No

• Go To 8.

3. CHECK EACH FUEL INJECTOR CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the:

• (K614) Fuel Injector 4 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K38) Fuel Injector 5 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
  • (K658) Fuel Injector 6 High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 harness connector.
NOTE
There should be no continuity between the circuit and ground.
Is the resistance below 10k Ohms on any injector circuits?

Yes

• Go To 4.
No

• Go To 12.

4. CHECKING FOR INJECTOR CONTROL CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER

Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at each Bank 2 Fuel Injector terminal.

NOTE
Do not disconnect the valve cover pass through harness from the engine harness.
At the PCM C1 harness connector, measure the resistance between ALL (Bank 2) Low AND High Side Control circuits: K614(High 4), K14(Low 4), K38(High 5), K638(Low 5), K658(High 6), and K58(Low 6).

Is the resistance below 10k ohms between any Injector Control circuits?

Yes

No

• Go To 5.

5. ISOLATE CYLINDER 4 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the PCM C1 harness connector to the PCM.

Leave the valve cover pass through wires disconnected at the Cylinder 4 Fuel Injector terminals.

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 5 and 6 Fuel Injector terminals.

NOTE
Place electrical tape on the ends of the disconnected valve cover pass through wires to prevent the Injector terminal nuts from coming in contact with each other or the engine block.

NOTE

Are multiple bank 2 injector circuit DTCs (P0204, P0205, P0206) active?

Yes

• Go To 6.
No

6. ISOLATE CYLINDER 5 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 4 Fuel Injector terminals.

NOTE
Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the Cylinder 5 Fuel Injector terminals.

NOTE

Yes

• Go To 7.
No

7. ISOLATE CYLINDER 6 FUEL INJECTOR

Reconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the cylinder 5 fuel injector terminals.

NOTE
Torque the injector terminal nuts to 8.8 in-lbs.
Disconnect the valve cover pass through wires at the cylinder 6 fuel injector terminals.

NOTE

Yes

No

8. CHECK THE VALVE COVER PASS THROUGH HARNESS CIRCUIT

NOTE
Perform the following tests on the Fuel Injector circuit which was faulty. This is from the procedures in Step 2.

Measure the resistance between the Low Side Driver circuit and the High Side Driver circuit at the Valve Cover Pass Through connector terminals.

NOTE

Yes

• Go To 9.
No

• Go To 11.

9. CHECK THE HIGH SIDE CIRCUITS IN ENGINE HARNESS

Measure the resistance of the High Side Driver circuit between the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector and the PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE

Yes

• Go To 10.
No

10. CHECK THE LOW SIDE CIRCUITS IN ENGINE HARNESS

Measure the resistance of the Low Side Driver circuit between the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector and the PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE

Yes

No

11. CHECK FUEL INJECTORS

Disconnect all bank 2 Fuel Injector wires at the Fuel Injectors.

Measure the resistance across the terminals at the Fuel Injector.

NOTE

Yes

No

12. CHECK FOR THE DRIVER CIRCUITS SHORTED TOGETHER

Disconnect all bank 2 Fuel Injector wires at the Fuel Injectors.

Measure the resistance between all bank 2 Driver circuits at the PCM C1 harness connector.

Yes

• Go To 13.
No

• Go To 14.

13. CHECK THE VALVE COVER PASS THROUGH HARNESS CIRCUITS

Measure the resistance between all bank 2 Driver circuits of the Valve Cover Pass Through connector terminals.

Yes

No

14. CHECK THE HIGH SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

NOTE
Perform the following tests on the Fuel Injector circuit which was faulty. This is from the procedures in Step 12.
Disconnect the Valve Cover Pass Through harness connector .

Measure the resistance between ground and the High Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 connector.

Yes

No

• Go To 15.

15. CHECK THE LOW SIDE DRIVER CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the Low Side Driver circuit at the PCM C1 connector.

Yes

No

• Go To 16.

16. CHECK THE FUEL INJECTORS

Measure the resistance between ground and one of the Fuel Injector terminals.

Yes

No

• Replace the Valve Cover Pass Through harness in accordance with the service information.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Post any questions you have from those procedures. The Powertrain Verification Test is simply having the technician go back over everything to include checking then clearing the DTCs, and attempt to start the engine. If the engine doesn't start, go back over everything and check for DTCs again. If any DTCs are present, you must address those.

If the engine starts, go for a 5-minute test drive above 40 MPH, then once you get back home, turn the engine off for 10 or more seconds and restart, and go for another test drive. I modified what the actual manual says to avoid a possible no-start situation leaving you stranded away from home.

Check for DTCs once more, and if any are present, address those, or clear and see if they come back. If they return after another test drive begin troubleshooting those. If they are the same as what we are addressing, double/triple check your work.

I will give a little caution regarding the wiring diagrams. Chrysler/Tech Authority is notorious for not updating the wiring colors when they update the manual (even using the opposite connector than intended i.e. male side instead of female and vice versa). Case in point, I was helping another forum user regarding the FCA, and the wiring diagram was reversed of what was on the truck. That was the first time I encountered that issue, but it is a problem nonetheless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent! I’ll get it printed out and dive into it once the rain lets up here.

Reactions: 6.7L_MegaCab

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post any questions you have from those procedures. The Powertrain Verification Test is simply having the technician go back over everything to include checking then clearing the DTCs, and attempt to start the engine. If the engine doesn't start, go back over everything and check for DTCs again. If any DTCs are present, you must address those.

If the engine starts, go for a 5-minute test drive above 40 MPH, then once you get back home, turn the engine off for 10 or more seconds and restart, and go for another test drive. I modified what the actual manual says to avoid a possible no-start situation leaving you stranded away from home.

Check for DTCs once more, and if any are present, address those, or clear and see if they come back. If they return after another test drive begin troubleshooting those. If they are the same as what we are addressing, double/triple check your work.

I will give a little caution regarding the wiring diagrams. Chrysler/Tech Authority is notorious for not updating the wiring colors when they update the manual (even using the opposite connector than intended i.e. male side instead of female and vice versa). Case in point, I was helping another forum user regarding the FCA, and the wiring diagram was reversed of what was on the truck. That was the first time I encountered that issue, but it is a problem nonetheless.
Just finished reading over it and it looks pretty straight forward.

My only question would be... What are the exact steps for "Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure"?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Diagnostic Test

INTERMITTENT CONDITION (6.7L PCM)

NOTE
The conditions that set the DTC are not present at this time. The following list may help in identifying the intermittent condition.

WARNING
When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

Perform any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that may apply.

Review the scan tool Freeze Frame information. If possible, try to duplicate the conditions under which the DTC set.

With the engine running at normal operating temperature, monitor the scan tool parameters related to the DTC while wiggling the wire harness. Look for parameter values to change and/or a DTC to set.

Turn the ignition off.

Visually inspect the related wire harness. Disconnect all the related harness connectors. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, partially broken wires and broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.

Perform a voltage drop test on the related circuits between the suspected inoperative component and the PCM.

Inspect and clean all PCM, engine, and chassis grounds that are related to the most current DTC.

If numerous trouble codes were set, use a wire schematic and look for any common ground or supply circuits.

For any Relay DTCs, actuate the Relay with the scan tool and wiggle the related wire harness to try to interrupt the actuation.

For intermittent Misfire DTCs check for restrictions in the Intake and Exhaust system, proper installation of Sensors, vacuum leaks, and binding components that are run by the accessory drive belt.

Use the scan tool to perform a System Test if one applies to failing component.

A co-pilot, data recorder, and/or lab scope should be used to help diagnose intermittent conditions.

Were any problems found during the above inspections?

Yes
  • Perform the necessary repairs.
  • Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST 6.7L. (Refer to DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)(Refer To List 1).

No
  • Test Complete.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I promise that I haven’t forgotten about this. It’s been crazy cold outside and the check engine light has stayed off for at least a few days.

With proper forum etiquette, I’ll definitely post my findings as soon as I get the tests knocked out.

Reactions: 6.7L_MegaCab

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's all good! I hate working on my vehicles in the cold.

I wish others would do the same lol. Too many come for help, but only a dedicated few follow up whether or not they got their vehicle back in order.

With the CEL remaining off seems to be more of an intermittent issue. I've been dealing with that for years, but only shot the wires once, yet didn't come to any conclusion on the problem. I mean, if it's wiring and the wiring just so happens to be sitting right at the moment of checking them and the ECM or even TIPM is behaving at that moment, you're back to square one. It's flipping annoying

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it setting injector timing codes or injector circuit codes?
Hey 3500Tech,

It’s throwing injection timing codes. Specifically these...

I just cleared the codes a couple days ago and these are pending. The CEL has not yet come back on. When it does I’m sure that it will be for 2-5 cylinders at a time though. P026B is always along side them.

There are zero performance or mileage issues. And if it matters the CEL comes on when you let off the pedal at 50+ mph after cruising for a little bit. Example when you begin to get off an off ramp on the interstate, that’s the only time that the CEL comes on. The dealer tech said that’s when the timing issue is most amplified and noticeable the sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey 3500Tech,

It’s throwing injection timing codes. Specifically these...

View attachment 919918

I just cleared the codes a couple days ago and these are pending. The CEL has not yet come back on. When it does I’m sure that it will be for 2-5 cylinders at a time though. P026B is always along side them.

There are zero performance or mileage issues. And if it matters the CEL comes on when you let off the pedal at 50+ mph after cruising for a little bit. Example when you begin to get off an off ramp on the interstate, that’s the only time that the CEL comes on. The dealer tech said that’s when the timing issue is most amplified and noticeable the sensors.
Hey, every time I've seen those codes it's been an injector, vary rarely is it a loose terminal on the injector harness. How did the engine mounted fuel filter look when you removed it? How does it act on cold starts? The issue you're gonna have is not knowing the history of the truck before you bought it. Did the tech say how the inside of the tank looked when he changed the pump?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, every time I've seen those codes it's been an injector, vary rarely is it a loose terminal on the injector harness. How did the engine mounted fuel filter look when you removed it? How does it act on cold starts? The issue you're gonna have is not knowing the history of the truck before you bought it. Did the tech say how the inside of the tank looked when he changed the pump?
Thanks for the heads up and the info!

The CEL did come on yesterday after a little more driving and it was showing injection timing issues on cylinders 5 & 6. So it's a little weird that its so inconsistent with a pending code on cylinder 2 then it trips the light on different cylinders. Sometimes its 5 or 6 cylinders all at once.

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures or looking more into the used fuel filters when I pulled them off. That was around October 2020 though. I want to say that the engine bay one was noticeably dirty but I wouldn't say that it was terribly caked up or anything. But I know that it doesn't take much to mess up these injectors.

Cold starts seem fine. I'm in central Delaware and we've had plenty of cold mornings in the mid - high 20's this year. After the normal glow plug cycle, she cranks right away. You can tell that it's cold but there's no noticeable stumble or choking at all. It will go into its normal high idle cycle and sounds nice and smooth. The dealership tech said that he notices a slight "wavering idle" when its cold but he noted that its nothing that was necessarily alarming and you can't even see a fluctuation of the needle on the tach.

The dealer tech never mentioned anything about the condition of the inside of the tank but after we spoke I started to think more about it too.

I'm definitely going to make some time to knock out those injector electrical tests when I get a break from work and the weather. I haven't completely ruled out the contamination but I find it hard to believe that there was fuel system contamination with no performance issues.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Definitely check the wiring once you are able. A problem that is so random and moves is typically due to wiring. I don't recall, did you disconnect the harness at the valve cover and check for loose or corroded/tarnished pins? If not, I'd check there and add dielectric grease to them just to make sure good contact is being made.

I would also pull the connectors on the ECM and add dielectric grease as well. Since that is a bit more exposed, look close for water intrusion at the connectors. It might be easier just to remove the ECM to do a good thorough inspection.

I pulled the ECM on my truck around 2014 chasing an electrical issue to inspect the pins, they were okay, but did have tarnish on them. Not certain why as the seals were in excellent condition, but I suppose air can still get to them in some fashion. I used a small brass wire brush to get a nice shine to them. The biggest culprit went away (ECM essentially shutting down, resulting in a loss of Comm with it, causing a no start and even the radio asking for the pin, until the ECM woke up).

This at the very least 'might' isolate the connectors, saving the dirty work of shooting the wires is its just a poor connection. Reset all the codes and wait to see what comes back. I've helped quite a few folks isolate similar issues down to a bad wire going to the ECM, so it's not always an injector. The integrated valve cover gasket does go bad as well. If that happens to be the issue, get the part directly from Cummins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts