Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really hard start... 2001 Dodge

hi,

I am considerin buyin a 2001 ram 2500 but it is tough to start. Once started it seemed to run fine, but startup was 15-20 seconds on an 85deg day! It was able to do 75mph on the hiway and accelerate just fine. I was looking for a chechk engine light, but did not see one (did not know that some of the fuel system codes do not cause a check engine light.)

What are your gueses as to cause? Does the 2001 use OBDII standard for diag. code?

Thanks.

God bless...

Mark

PS. The "h" and "G" on my keyboard have developed a problem and work when they feel like it, so thus my poor spelling at times...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HI,

One more fun thing it does is it makes a high pitched whistling noise when the turbo is boosting. It is not normal turbo whine (owned enough turbo's to know that) It is comming from the intake side of the motor. I am thinking it might be the intake manifold, but am wondering if anyone else has had this and what they found?
Thanks

God bless...

Mark

BTW. it is a good price, or I would just walk away from it

·
Registered
658 Posts
turn the key on - off - on - off - on and you should get any codes in the odometer.

The whine could be that someone took the silencer ring off of the turbo.

Another thing could be a really dirty air cleaner.... My truck could really whine that turbo until I changed my air filter a week ago.... now even pulling the 30' 5th up some very steep hills it was more of a normal whine. I was almost disappointed. :lol3:

·
Registered
658 Posts
just thought.... maybe a boot on the intercooler or something is leaking. That could maybe make the whistle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
got the codes...

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far. I got the dealer to get me the codes and they are as follows:

PPCU
p1693

PECU
p0562
p0217

Anyone know what these codes are?

Thanks for your help

God bless....

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Don't know about the codes but the 01's have a problem with the lift pumps going out. Could be something like that and it is taking a bit for the injection pump to pull it up. Just a thought. Maybe one of those codes will tell you what is going on.

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
just remember if the lift pump is shot..... you're killing the inj pump every second that its running

·
Registered
250 Posts
P0217 Decreased Engine Performance Due
To Engine Overheat Condition
Engine overheating. ECM will derate engine performance

P0562 Charging System Voltage Too Low Supply voltage sensed at ECM too low.

P1693 (M) DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC
Detected in ECM
A 9Companion DTC9 was set in both the ECM and PCM.
I looked them up and this is what they say, I don't know what all that means though.
Good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

thanks for the help so far. Does someone know what the DTC in the ecm/pcm (1693 code) is?

Thanks

God bless...

mark

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The first digit "1" in 1693 indicates a "manufacturer specific" non obd code. Probably something to do with the brakes. The hard start sounds like a lift pump, air leak into the fuel system, or possibly, both.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
well i had a problem like that, well it turned out to be the injection pump slowely dieing, not the pump itself but the electronics on it...for fun, part it down hill, let it sit, then go and try to start it...sounds stupid, but that's how i narrowed it down. oh, i also put my FASS on there before hand, so i knew it wasn't my lift pump.

i could part it aimed down hill, fire up everytime just like it rolled off the assembly line. if i parked it up hill or on level ground, took about 15-20 sec to start it...

·
Registered
208 Posts
P0217 Decreased Engine Performance Due
To Engine Overheat Condition
Engine overheating. ECM will derate engine performance

P0562 Charging System Voltage Too Low Supply voltage sensed at ECM too low.

P1693 (M) DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC
Detected in ECM
A 9Companion DTC9 was set in both the ECM and PCM.
I looked them up and this is what they say, I don't know what all that means though.
Good luck!
the p0217 code... i have that one... whats the deal with this???????? engine overheating???

·
Registered
585 Posts
Could have a loose line or bad check valve on the inj pump. I changed mine and the return line started leaking a month later and I got the same problem. If I parked downhill it would start right up. Also had the loud boost leak. Apparently when I took off the stock lp I didn't put all of the bolts back in. Two years later and my truck is screaming like a banshee. Replaced the boltsand problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts