Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading and thinking and reading and thinking, I'm ready to order my truck.

2015 Ram 2500 MegaCab 6.4 Hemi

Would really appreciate all your thoughts. Have read the smoking issues and I'm getting a little concerned.

All thoughts good and bad, especially if you traded yours away recently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine should be here in 3 weeks!
MPG is gonna be all over the place depending on driving habits/conditions. Expect 13 and if you get 15-16 be happy. Towing will get less. But as a reference, towing with my 2013 6cyl RAM gave me 10 mpg, so if it is the same or a bit less with this truck can't complain.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love mine so far and have had no smoking issues. I am averaging around 14 combined city/highway around 50/50 each. I took a road trip and got 17-18 but that was cruising at a reasonable speed on fairly flat ground.

Adding Bilstein 5100's helped the ride significantly and the ride is leaps and bounds over my 97 12v.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My 2014 Power Wagon has been flawless. No smoking or engine noise at start up. The coils in the rear make for a very nice ride in a heavy duty truck. The first time I took my pops for a ride we didn't even make it to the end of the road and he was impressed, and he's a "Cadillac ride" type of guy.
The 6.4 is a beast of a V8 and it likes gas if you push it hard. I have 4.10's and put 35's on mine, if I keep my speed at 68 ish I can get 14-15 if I get over 70 its 11-13. But I'm ok with that my last diesel got the same mileage and at a dollar plus a gallon difference in fuel prices alone I'm good right now mainly because don't have anything to tow. If I had something to tow I would have the CTD, not because the 6.4 is not capable I would just want the diesel.
The truck overall is fantastic, I have had it since Oct. and currently have 8500 miles on it. I have had it in head winds, cross winds and the cab is tight wind noise is so minimal. Cannot beat the Laramie package and all the nice features...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like mine somewhat. Fuel mileage is not good at all compared to the cummins, and I think overall worse than the competitors gas engines. I love the fact that with these cold winter temps my truck will actually warm up without having to drive it for thirty minutes like I had to do with the cummins. That is the main reason I went with the 6.4 and hopefully it will pull our fifth wheel when summer gets here. I know I will hate towing with it compared to a tuned cummins because this thing downshifts at every little hill when empty right now.

I wish I could have the cummins brute strength for towing and fuel economy along with the quick and easy warm ups of the hemi in the cold. I can't so I chose the hemi because I wanted quick warm ups for the five or six months of cold weather we get versus the handful of times we tow the camper and boat during the summer.

If I lived in a warmer area of the country it would be a no brainier for me. I just love the cummins engine!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like mine somewhat. Fuel mileage is not good at all compared to the cummins, and I think overall worse than the competitors gas engines. I love the fact that with these cold winter temps my truck will actually warm up without having to drive it for thirty minutes like I had to do with the cummins. That is the main reason I went with the 6.4 and hopefully it will pull our fifth wheel when summer gets here. I know I will hate towing with it compared to a tuned cummins because this thing downshifts at every little hill when empty right now.

I wish I could have the cummins brute strength for towing and fuel economy along with the quick and easy warm ups of the hemi in the cold. I can't so I chose the hemi because I wanted quick warm ups for the five or six months of cold weather we get versus the handful of times we tow the camper and boat during the summer.

If I lived in a warmer area of the country it would be a no brainier for me. I just love the cummins engine!
Prediction! (LOL)

We'll be seeing pictures of a CTD come this summer... The switch from diesel to gas has been tough on me as well... But I have to do two things, be patient with the truck. ie, it will get there just with a little more effort and a little less fuel economy.. And the maintance on this truck is so much simpler and I don't find myself wanting to buy that magic 300.00 part to get another 50hp..
Honestly I see a CTD in my future. Unknown when but I will go back I may wait to see what the 16's bring..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Prediction! (LOL)

We'll be seeing pictures of a CTD come this summer... The switch from diesel to gas has been tough on me as well... But I have to do two things, be patient with the truck. ie, it will get there just with a little more effort and a little less fuel economy.. And the maintance on this truck is so much simpler and I don't find myself wanting to buy that magic 300.00 part to get another 50hp..
Honestly I see a CTD in my future. Unknown when but I will go back I may wait to see what the 16's bring..
I will stay with the hemi for a while. If I was loaded with money I would have a cummins, or maybe even both. Right now it just makes sense monetarily for me and my family to have the hemi. If I win the lottery or if someone leaves me some money which I don't see happening, I would be back in a cummins in no time.
I was always a cummins man, still am, but these ram trucks have come a long ways. I went to a Laramie from a bighorn and would rather have a hemi with Laramie package tha a cummins with bighorn package. Those two trucks would be similar in price. I would love to have cummins with Laramie, but just can't justify spending that much coin.
Either way we have lots of great options with the ram trucks right now which is a win, win for everyone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
And my wife would divorce me or shoot me if I went back to a cummins this summer! Haha!

Reactions: HorseMan-AR

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just one tow was all it took, just traded my 14 CCSB BH 6.4 with 3:73 gears on a new 15 Laramie with the 6.7 diesel. I really really liked the 6.4 in many ways but after towing 8K over the mountains and struggling (to me anyway) in 2nd at 4000 rpm I just decided to cut my losses and head back into a diesel. BTW my 6.4 averaged 13.2 mpg overall, as high as 18 on the highway tho....but would drop very very fast as soon as I hit town. Towing our 8000 lb travel trailer got 7.5. Plus the value of the truck dropped pretty fast compaired to diesels I have owned.....after having both and also having diesel trucks in the past, the pure pleasure (both towing and non) from all that torque is just recreational to me and what I personally prefer. I doubt I will ever buy another gas hd truck. And yes it did cost me to do this, but the wife was on board and its my retirement truck so what the hell.....

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Just one tow was all it took, just traded my 14 CCSB BH 6.4 with 3:73 gears on a new 15 Laramie with the 6.7 diesel. I really really liked the 6.4 in many ways but after towing 8K over the mountains and struggling (to me anyway) in 2nd at 4000 rpm I just decided to cut my losses and head back into a diesel. BTW my 6.4 averaged 13.2 mpg overall, as high as 18 on the highway tho....but would drop very very fast as soon as I hit town. Towing our 8000 lb travel trailer got 7.5. Plus the value of the truck dropped pretty fast compaired to diesels I have owned.....after having both and also having diesel trucks in the past, the pure pleasure (both towing and non) from all that torque is just recreational to me and what I personally prefer. I doubt I will ever buy another gas hd truck. And yes it did cost me to do this, but the wife was on board and its my retirement truck so what the hell.....

Good assessment - I'm in the same boat. Just couldn't handle the 2nd gear thing. Gas for some, diesel for others. Both are great engines, no doubt. It's all in what you want.

Happy retirement, eh?!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
So we all can get a perspective on the situation how much coin are you out of pocket on this decision?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know about holding value, on a trade for a 15 hemi 2500 ccsb 4x4 outdoorsman retail at 47940,my dealer wanted me to accept 30000 for my sig truck with only 8400 miles and that was in December of 14. the Ram Cummins was 50280 retail so that is a total loss of 20000 dollars in 1 year , November 21 13 is when I bought my current Diesel. I also had over 7000 in after market stuff. Anyway buying vehicles is a money losing situation even though I like my new trucks one loses thousands just driving them out the door. If my ctd lost 20000 from retail imagine what a gasser would lose.
Yippee Ki yay ride em cowboy!
:rof

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know about holding value, on a trade for a 15 hemi 2500 ccsb 4x4 outdoorsman retail at 47940,my dealer wanted me to accept 30000 for my sig truck with only 8400 miles and that was in December of 14. the Ram Cummins was 50280 retail so that is a total loss of 20000 dollars in 1 year , November 21 13 is when I bought my current Diesel. I also had over 7000 in after market stuff. Anyway buying vehicles is a money losing situation even though I like my new trucks one loses thousands just driving them out the door. If my ctd lost 20000 from retail imagine what a gasser would lose.
Yippee Ki yay ride em cowboy!
:rof
Welp, Sticker on my 14 Hemi was 49,350 and I paid 40,550 (8800 off msrp). Six months and 8000 mile later received 33,500 in trade on a 60,810 msrp 15 with an even 10K off sticker. So lost seven grand on the trade in and ended up paying 50,810 for the new truck. My 14 was paid off so I had a decent chunk down from that and with that plus some cash down and I will have the rest paid off by this time next year, so its all good as far as I am concerned. I will say in order to get those numbers I worked back and forth between 4 dealers both near to my home and far. I found the best prices at Dennis Dillon Ram in Caldwell ID and used that offer to get a decent deal at my local dealer. I think I could have ended up about another grand to the good if I would have traveled to Idaho to get my truck but I do want to support the local guy (to a point).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welp, Sticker on my 14 Hemi was 49,350 and I paid 40,550 (8800 off msrp). Six months and 8000 mile later received 33,500 in trade on a 60,810 msrp 15 with an even 10K off sticker. So lost seven grand on the trade in and ended up paying 50,810 for the new truck.)
Great example of high volume dealer vs. a low volume dealer. Looks like you did pretty good on the trade. You KNOW dealers are going to want to make at least 10% off of your trade-in. Have you ever jumped on Dillon's website to see what they have your old truck listed at? Bet its around $40k. Dillon is a higher volume dealer so they can absorb some costs. Low volume dealers, they're going to be wanting to make 20%.

When I traded the 2013 CTD in for my Hemi, for grins I watched what they had it listed at on their website. They listed it for what I had bought it for at $43,500. New MSRP was $53k. Only got $38,000 for trade. Last I looked they had it marked down to $41,000. They probably sold it for somewhere around $40. It was a higher volume dealer. I wouldn't say that 2013 CTD was holding its value any better than what my 2014 Hemi probably is. Another problem was RAM was discounting their trucks off the lot $8 to $10k.

If you live in an area with a good truck market, a guy can always sell their truck out right and make the 10-15% the dealer will make and put that in your pocket...but you can't sit on it too long. Most of us, just decide not to mess with trying to sell the truck outright, and give up the $3-4K upfront just for the convenience of having the dealer sell the truck. Best thing to do from a monetary standpoint, sell the truck outright before purchasing a new one and just live without a truck while you find the one you want...Now how many of us have that kind of patience....:rof:S:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great example of high volume dealer vs. a low volume dealer. Looks like you did pretty good on the trade. You KNOW dealers are going to want to make at least 10% off of your trade-in. Have you ever jumped on Dillon's website to see what they have your old truck listed at? Bet its around $40k. Dillon is a higher volume dealer so they can absorb some costs. Low volume dealers, they're going to be wanting to make 20%.

When I traded the 2013 CTD in for my Hemi, for grins I watched what they had it listed at on their website. They listed it for what I had bought it for at $43,500. New MSRP was $53k. Only got $38,000 for trade. Last I looked they had it marked down to $41,000. They probably sold it for somewhere around $40. It was a higher volume dealer. I wouldn't say that 2013 CTD was holding its value any better than what my 2014 Hemi probably is. Another problem was RAM was discounting their trucks off the lot $8 to $10k.

If you live in an area with a good truck market, a guy can always sell their truck out right and make the 10-15% the dealer will make and put that in your pocket...but you can't sit on it too long. Most of us, just decide not to mess with trying to sell the truck outright, and give up the $3-4K upfront just for the convenience of having the dealer sell the truck. Best thing to do from a monetary standpoint, sell the truck outright before purchasing a new one and just live without a truck while you find the one you want...Now how many of us have that kind of patience....:rof:S:
Man wyo2track you are right on the money! Though I just used pricing at Dennis Dillon to help me negoiate my best deal at the local small time guy in my home town of Cottage Grove Oregon. Sometimes I do sell my trucks rather than trade but this time I just did not have the time or paitence! My old truck is sitting on their lot right now for about exactly what I paid for it........yep damn close to what you predicted at $39700!!! Though I am guessing final sale price with be in the mid 30's say 34 or 35......thing is these places take trades and offer financing packages to folks, I do neither....anyway I will say that whoever gets that puppy will be happy it is a very nice truck, even if it is pretty damn thirsty!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I watch the Dennis Dillon site often. Good read !

Is Dennis Dillon easy to deal with ?

Next question: if the 6.4 got the new 8 speed transmission would it pull better to your liking ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts