Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of going to rancho shocks the other day. Checked with Revtek on shock lengths they used on their 6" lift. Bumped them against Rancho's shock lengths(rancho only has 4" lifts and shocks to match) and Revteks shocks are almost 3.5" shorter than rancho's. I unbolt my rear shocks and took pics of the revtek shock fully extended. SEE PICTURES IN 6.7 PERFORMANCE PARTS DISCUSSION under same title. Sorry i could not get them to download twice. Rear shock extends barely 2" past the attachment. Called Revtek and they treat me like i am an idiot so i figured i might as well let everyone else know since they are telling me their kit is correct and nothing is wrong because nobody else has called in. I didn't figure when i installed the lift that i needed to check behind a company that makes the lift to make sure they sent me long enough shocks.
I lifted from the frame on my truck only 3 inches and the shocks are fully extended and the tire is still on the ground, not to mention that the shocks are blown already probably from bottoming out. If you have a REVTEK lift unbolt the bottom mounts and extend the shock out. Number on the rear shock is 5248.

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
What is the total extended length on those shocks? It does look like they are a bit short and I am sure that they are acting like droop limit. That can obviuosly lead to a bad ride and a short shock life.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
Yup,,, had the same issue. Just order a longer travel shock. This is one example of the benefits you will gain buying a properly manufactured and tested suspension system... Alot of things look great on paper but not so much in real life!

· Registered
309 Posts
Wow glad i found this. I am dealing with the same issue as we speak. I live 15 min from Revtek and heard nothing but great things about them. So i went with the 6" axle foward kit on my dodge ram. When i picked it up from a shop the thing sat nose down about 1". Loooked like a the stance of a stock truck. Not somehting i want to see after i just paid 1300 for a lift. So i called them and they assured me that all the ones they have installed on the rams sat level. Well mine DIDN'T. So i had a shop install 1.5" spring spacers to make the stupid thing sit level. NOW im faced with even MORE isssued with these short shocks. The shop even told me that the shocks that came with the kit were too short. To make a long story short the shop im working with now is going to convert my upper shock mount to a "eye" bolt style and put on longer shocks. I also now need to extend the break lines and index my T-case. So much for a bolt on kit. I will NEVER reccomend a revtek lift to anyone.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
Yeah I really think most manufacturers expect there customers to just settle for what they get! I'm not really sure what to think about this as you can only expect so much from a budget lift.

All I can say is I've learned my lesson and am constantly fixing it!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thing that made me angry was when i called and explained the engineer still claimed they were the right size. It really pisses me off that they would act like that and i was just calling to let them know because i planned on replacing them with someething else most likely. My truck does sit level. The shocks literally have less than 3000 miles and cycling them provides no resistance whatesoever until they pump up after about 6-10 pumps on them and then it fades overnight anyways.
I would like to hear of peoples experiences with different shocks. I was looking at rancho but they make some barely long enough. Just not sure. I wanted adjustabel because i have a road armor bumper and 16.5 warn winch up front. Anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
1,806 Posts
I would say a bilstien 5100 is the best non adjustable 2.0 you can buy but have recently became of the opinion that a good 2.5" or large shock is the only way to go for our trucks with the weight! Of course proper valving is critical.

· Registered
309 Posts
Just for refrence this is what my 2005 dodge ram looked like with the 6" Revtek lift...

Never seen a lift in my life with thit much sag in the front.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To SKyd Ram; these shocks measure extended 29.78 " but my truck measures right at 28" when it is level. Literaly less than 2" of travel in these things. I would hit big bumps in the road(in alaska) and this truck would buck like crazy. Really noticeable because i have road armor bumper with 16.5 winch and i could watch the uprights on this bumper shake. Hopefully the better shocks upfront and the longer ones in the back will take care of this.

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
To SKyd Ram; these shocks measure extended 29.78 " but my truck measures right at 28" when it is level. Literaly less than 2" of travel in these things. I would hit big bumps in the road(in alaska) and this truck would buck like crazy. Really noticeable because i have road armor bumper with 16.5 winch and i could watch the uprights on this bumper shake. Hopefully the better shocks upfront and the longer ones in the back will take care of this.
Those do sound a bit short since the stock shock have an extended length of 27.5. Does you truck have a 3" or 4" block in the rear?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a 4 " block in the rear. I checked my shocks again yesterday and these things are definately blown. I can get in the back of the truck and hop and it just springs up and down like a 70's charger with original shocks.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just so everyone knows, Randy from Revtek is sending me new shocks out for my truck. I really had no complaints about the lift itself other than the fact i ran into the shock issue. This is the second revtek lift i have had and i have had no issues besides this set backa nd if i had just replaced the shocks i would have nver had an issue. Just wanted to let everyone know that about their lift!

· Premium Member
882 Posts
Just so everyone knows, Randy from Revtek is sending me new shocks out for my truck. I really had no complaints about the lift itself other than the fact i ran into the shock issue. This is the second revtek lift i have had and i have had no issues besides this set backa nd if i had just replaced the shocks i would have nver had an issue. Just wanted to let everyone know that about their lift!
seems they changed their attitude pretty quick huh...bet they didn't like the bad publicity.:rof

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.