Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've built my biodiesel processor I have been doing a lot more reading. I keep hearing about and reading about everyone talking about the quality of reaction. Now I have produced a couple of 60 gallon batches and have only one major hickup and it was determined to be some sort of cleaner in the oil.

Now to my question, What make for a "good reaction"? Is it the temp, lengthof mixing time, I have not read any bit of info explaining how to get a "perfect reaction".

thanks fellas

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
im new to bio myself, but i dont think there is a perfect reaction. thats why we wash it i thought... too much lye or not enough, too much meth, or not enough can make the reaction more/less effective. the better the reaction, the less wash it needs...at least thats my understanding...but like i said im new to it, i just made my first test batch 2 nights ago in my kitchen and dont even own a processor yet....

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
so far i have about $230 invested into my appleseed processor. (or what will be an appleseed processor) i have the titration kit ( put together myself from publix and CVS) lye (from ACE Hardware), pump, plumbing for the water heater, and a 55 gallon drum. i still need to put together my wash tank plumbing, and buy a used 80 gallon water heater i found for $75. im hoping to stay under $600 for a start up cost.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i havent seen the post by utah bio, ill watch it in a few.

as far as a costs to build it depends, i built my for about $250 and the cost per gallon depends on how much you get lye, methanol and if you have a cost for the oil

Personally i dont pay for my oil and I got a 100 pounds of lye for 50 bucks from a friend so my cost will be slighly lower than others.

I pay less than a 1.50 per gallon

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm setting up my processor right now. My total cost so far has been around 400 and I'm about done. I did buy a new water heater for mine though (I work at lowes and got it half off) so that has raised my startup cost a bit. I just bought 5 gals of methanol for 18.42 including tax. If I buy it by the drum though it's only 3.15 instead of the 3.40 I paid today. Still looking for KOH though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts