Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I re-use a head gasket? The head gasket was used for about 4 days after installation. Had a problem and need to remove head again.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I do have another gasket however it is the thinner gasket that came with the cummins upper engine gasket kit. I used the thicker gasket because the head was planed or shaved or whatever it is called.

Can the thinner gasket be used or should I get another thicker one?

Both gaskets are multilayered gaskets.

· Registered
150 Posts
Re-surfacing the head will have little to no affect on compression. You could use the thinner HG. The only reason you would want to decompress by using a thicker HG would be if you are running a lot of boost, and high horse power. Remember when you decompress you lose low end power.

· Premium Member
926 Posts
I would not re-use a head gasket. If you didn't deck the block, then use which ever thickness the engine came with. If the head was machined correctly you should need to go with a thicker head gasket.

Paul

· Registered
152 Posts
If you decked the block you will prolly want to use the thicker HG. I rebuild cummins power units (4bt and 6bt's) and we deck the blocks and more times than not if we use factory headgaskets they will hit the head. So for safety we use victor headgaskets that are thicker. Hope this helps.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did not deck the block. Just had the head done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.