Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All;

I've got an 04.5 truck, but I scored a good deal on a center console/jump seat (only will be using the top console part) from a 2017 truck (this isn't the exact one but it's same color with the grey top). I've been wanting to do this conversion for a while now:

Bumper Gadget Box Gas Auto part

I'm going to try my hand at re--upholstering this thing. With the money I saved between getting this jump seat and a newer one, I purchased a staple gun. It's for T50, 18 ga staples (I'll be using 1/4" legs for this project). I figure it will come in handy in the future for other projects as well (MX seat, etc):

Rectangle Output device Automotive lighting Gadget Font

I purchased this cover on ebay (fake vinyl leather but should do the trick) so I could have a black cover which will match the 3rd Gen Laramie leather seats a bit better:

Rectangle Gadget Eyewear Automotive lighting Font

So my quick question is if anyone has done this on this style center console? The one I'm getting the cover is in good shape, but I think the black will go better. Good opportunity to start with some simple upholstery as well.

I'd appreciate any tips/tricks/images/videos of the process with this particular console. Found 1 video on youtube by the guy is wearing a go-pro which is great, but you can't really see the details of what he's doing.

Thanks in advance!

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,225 Posts
Should be pretty simple, when stretching the vinyl and securing it i would put my knee on the back side to compress the foam as much as possible and then secure the vinyl in a couple of spots, and inspect how it looks before going crazy with the staples. But it should be a pretty easy little project in my mind I've done other simple upholstery things before and this doesn't seem to bad to do just looking at it

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be pretty simple, when stretching the vinyl and securing it i would put my knee on the back side to compress the foam as much as possible and then secure the vinyl in a couple of spots, and inspect how it looks before going crazy with the staples. But it should be a pretty easy little project in my mind I've done other simple upholstery things before and this doesn't seem to bad to do just looking at it
My thoughts as well, figured a good plan of attack would be to tighten/tack the sides down first, then stretch towards the front and back and staple accordingly? I thought this might be a good first project to start on. But I know my weaknesses (I'm much more mechanically savvy). I tried re-upholstering with new foam, and shaping a motorcycle seat. It was going good until it wasn't...

·
Vendor
14,942 Posts
A good project.
You can always dig the staples out and try again.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's the new (used) console installed today:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Quick question, does anyone know if the main plastic inner tray, the one that the cigarette lighter and USB charger are in, can be removed?

Edit:
Found a good video (series of 3, first 2 is really all you need:

Reactions: Loki223

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could anyone tell me what the trim piece part number is for #4 in the diagram? I don't have a service manual for those years. I believe 2013-2021 that part should fit. Can't seem to find it in the OEM list online either.

Damn thing was brittle, I tried gently removing it and even then half the legs broke off...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so here we go. Removing the lid is easy. Open up the console and it's 2 screws in the back.
Remove that PITA underneath trim piece, you're going to break half of the legs off. It just "snaps" in...

Then you actually have to take off the hinge, another 4 screws:

Font Fixture Automotive exterior Composite material Metal

Take note where all of the OEM staples are. There are not many at all. Remove them. Pliers, staple remover, etc:

Luggage and bags Bag Black Textile Auto part

Outerwear Product Jersey Dress shirt Textile
Bag Sleeve Luggage and bags Grey Communication Device

Move down to the hinge and remove the plasti-chrome handle. it's just 2x self tapping torx head screws:

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Next we have to remove the black plastic trim piece. It's 4 screws, 2 ea. side of the handle. They are kinda hidden behind the material so push it back:

Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Electronic instrument Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

The trim piece will just pull out to the topside:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper
Photograph Motor vehicle White Hood Light

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok when installing the new cover, I threw it in the drier on med. heat for 15 minutes to make it easier to work with.

Insert the plastic piece and foam of the console lid into the cover starting at the back. Work the material forward around the edges to the front. Once you have it in place, my material actually had cuts (circled in green) to insert the plastic tabs on the lid through. This pulls a lot of the cover tight and locates it pretty good. I was impressed with the fit for an ebay special.

With the cover in place, I worked from the back corners (hinge side) to the front, pulling the material down and towards the center. As you're pulling you want to put a stalple in every so often as you have the fabric taught. FWIW, for my staple gun, I used 1/4" leg, T50 staples. I set my compressor to 90 psi which was seating the staples nicely, but I probably could have gotten away with lower pressure.

Here's the result on the backside. Don't worry, I cleaned up the cuts a bit, although it's hidden anyway. Make sure to cut out the tabs where the under trim piece snaps into (the one that you broke all the legs off above):

Light Product Gadget Gas Audio equipment

You can now re-install your black hinge trim as well as the plasti-chrome hinge handle, as well as the rear spring loaded hinge. Note that for the black trim piece on the front, you may need to cut away some of the material.

Install your underneath trim piece that you broke the legs off of earlier. It'll hold on barely by a few legs. But mine is completely flopping down in the front unfortunately because the only ones that survived were a couple on the sides and back.

Complete:

Gadget Rectangle Auto part Electronic device Gas
Furniture Comfort Couch Rectangle Wood

Then you can go ahead and install it back onto your console and admire the finished product:

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Gear shift

Unfortunately, those small wrinkles on the side I couldn't work out, they were seams actually in the leather because the shipped it rolled. Hoping that they'll eventually work themselves out with summer heat. The camera makes them look worse than they are, they are pretty hard to see in person. The material is about as tight as it would get.

It was a fun project, glad I got the staple gun!

I also customized/updated the interior power ports but I'll hit that on another thread back in the 3rd gen section.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW, I found the part number for the closeout bezel that's underneath the lid (the one we broke all the legs off of).

Mopar P/N 68206304AA

Reactions: cutoutcummins
1 - 12 of 12 Posts