Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you cummins gurus, I could really use your help. I posted a link to the video I took, when I pull back away from the truck you can hear it better. Its a strange rattle that is not exactly in sync with the motor. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't locate it. They replaced the fan clutch, didn't help. I had to get a steering shaft replaced too. They had all their diesel mechanics look at it and no one could figure it out. Told me to just drive it and hope whatever is causing it fails so they can replace it. This is driving me nuts, its loud and annoying, not to mention embarrassing having my engine rattle all loud. Anyone ever had this problem?

https://youtu.be/I1feZZhKfK8

·
Registered
7,225 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I cant really hear it that well, but the only thing i could would check would be that your injection pump is in sync with your motor !Ill post up the link to follow !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I cant really hear it that well, but the only thing i could would check would be that your injection pump is in sync with your motor !Ill post up the link to follow !
Are you saying Cummins is building these engines and not timing the pumps ?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Are you saying Cummins is building these engines and not timing the pumps ?
There is no timing to set on the pump per say.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
There is no timing to set on the pump per say.
No, you are wrong. There is an install procedure. The quickest place you might have access to is the FSM Dodge manual somebody on this forum created. The procedure is on page 7080. Cummins installs the pump in much same way when new. If the pump were install wrong, it would be the one in a million. The other choice would be that a previous owner having the pump off, and also did not know that there is a correct install procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts