Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi South Dakota brothers! Just wanted to check in and see who was in the area and if they had any tips for a diesel newbie. I'm gas savvy and understand how diesels work but I'm still in the learning process.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
hey man what year truck do you have and we can help you on the path of the straight and narrow cummins owner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 07 3500 Mega Cab with the 5.9

Current Mods:
S&B CAI with Scoop
5" Turbo Back straight pipe with 6" Tip
Edge Juice with Attitude CS (To be installed this weekend)

And that's really about it for now, I plan on pulling the silencer ring this weekend when I install the Edge, also on the scope are +90HP injectors, S&B Intake Elbow, 56 gallon fuel tank and possibly a larger inner cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
How much power are you looking to make? I used to have an edge on my truck but ended up putting it on 0 and used it for gauges and ran my smarty for power (100hp for the edge vs 230+hp for the smarty). You should also look into efi live. I wouldnt get bigger injectors without getting a bigger turbo and dont worry about your intercooler itll handle well over 750hp you cant spend that money else where.

Do you have an auto or manual, either way after about 100 extra hp which is just a programmer youll need to start spending money on either auto tranny goodies or a better clutch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not looking to make crazy power as it's the family grocery getter and I don't want to ruin my auto tranny. I'm just looking to get a few more MPG out of it and that little extra for towing my 5th wheel around on the weekends. I do plan on getting a hitch for the back of the 5th wheel so I can tow my Jeep behind it when I go to MOAB and other wheeling spots other than the black hills. Right now I'm STUCK in around 14 highway (75) and 16 just going back and forth to rapid from the base and I know others are getting in the low 20's with almost the same set up. I have a buddy with an 03, 6 speed, 5" Turbo Back straight pipe, Edge J/W, S&B CAI with scoop and he is getting mid to upper 20's and can hit almost 30 hand calculated if he doesn't go any faster than 65. We both have 4.10's and RPM's are only about 100 off from each other.

The power and better MPG is the reason I traded my other truck for this one, I had an 06 MC with the 5.7 Hemi but MPG was less then 12 on a good day. The best I ever seen with it was heading east with a 60 mph tail wind I got 15.7 and I know the diesels can get better than that.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
15-16 maybe 17 once in a blue moon is what i get too. you gotta figure that the megas are not light trucks and with all the hills around rapid its not good for fuel economy at all, my drive from town to base everyday is at 10psi the whole way going 65 which just sucks down fuel. 03s and 07s have a slightly diff motor set up, the 03-early 04s get way better fuel economy than we will, they dont have the in cylinder egr but a new cam would fix this on your truck and their piston bowls are diff.

The added timing from the edge will help out a little. But not matter what you do youll prob never get over 20mpgs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
put a power puck on it you will get a couple of more mpg out of it, and try to keep it under 2000rpm if u can

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do under stand that the 2 trucks are way different and the MC is heavier but when he's turning 33's, the same gearing and still getting 22-25 consistant hand calculated I should be able to at least get in the high teens with mine.

It's going to be hard to keep it under 2000 when I'm turning 2250 @ 65

·
Registered
195 Posts
2250 at 65 in od what do you run for gears 5.56

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.