Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 4 new Rancho RS9000XL shocks along with 4 new Raybestos ball joints from RockAuto.com. I started today on the front right BJ and before i put the tire on, i figured i should install the new shock. Therein lies the problem...no installation instructions accompany the RS999269 (rear) or RS999221 (front) shocks.

Really just two areas of concern that i was hoping some paper/pictures could help put to rest...1) the red rubber boot appears to fit over the shock body on the big end and over the piston end on the small side. They came with a zip tie and the only thing i could imagine is its supposed to be used to hold the big boot end onto the shock body-just seems to be not very professional looking. 2) what do the adjustment numbers mean and how do you 'release' the shock so it extends for bolt up.

I went on to gorancho.com and tried to find my instructions but they were not able to be found and their tech support folks are obviously not there.
Anyone who may have installed these or have any input it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Yes the zip tie is for the big end.

I am not sure how you will adjust the front shocks as they will be behind the shock once installed. 1 is softest and 5 is hardest. On the trucks I use to run them on I ran 3 front and 2 rear unless heavily loaded then 4 rear. Really I only adjusted them because I could, and even thou there was a distinct difference when empty they didn't change much when loaded. After 3 sets on 2 rigs I decided they were more novelty than function and never ran them again. The 5000's were good shocks, but nothing is as nice as the Bilstein 5100's I have now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Rancho's are installed just like any other shock. Period. If that's a problem have someone else take the reins.

Adjusting them is 1= easy soft, to the highest= hard breaks kidney stones stiff. Make sure they are even left to right. Front to back is to what ever you want.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yes the ziptie is a bit tacky but what can you do. I got the knob on mine facing the front of the truck so i can adjust it easier. I got mine second hand so they were already extended, but usually there is a plastic clip compressing it in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if i remember.....to extend them you have to push down and turn

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Rancho's are installed just like any other shock. Period. If that's a problem have someone else take the reins.

Adjusting them is 1= easy soft, to the highest= hard breaks kidney stones stiff. Make sure they are even left to right. Front to back is to what ever you want.
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but its my first time putting shocks on. Finally drove a truck long enough to have the need to change them out. Futhermore, these 9000XL's have the adjustment knob and i didnt know if there was anything special i needed to know about them! Gimme a break man, i'm just trying to put the things on right the first time. "There's no profit in rework"
Thanks for the info though on what the number settings mean.

if i remember.....to extend them you have to push down and turn
Yeah, I called Rancho today and you have to turn them a 1/4 turn counterclockwise for them to 'unlock' and extend. Again, i havent put a set on before so its new to me.

I just think its piss poor of a manufacturer to send 86 dollar shocks out without some basic info like the 1/4 CCW. Thanks for the info you provided though.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but its my first time putting shocks on. Finally drove a truck long enough to have the need to change them out. Futhermore, these 9000XL's have the adjustment knob and i didnt know if there was anything special i needed to know about them! Gimme a break man, i'm just trying to put the things on right the first time. "There's no profit in rework"
Thanks for the info though on what the number settings mean.

Yeah, I called Rancho today and you have to turn them a 1/4 turn counterclockwise for them to 'unlock' and extend. Again, i havent put a set on before so its new to me.

I just think its piss poor of a manufacturer to send 86 dollar shocks out without some basic info like the 1/4 CCW. Thanks for the info you provided though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.