Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was fueling up my 2014 2500 and I opened one of my Ramboxes that I have not been inside for a few months
I heard a pop and noticed one of the torsion rods came loose. I am stumped on how it goes back in and I do have a good side to compare to it is not making sense to me. I am trying to avoid pulling the good side apart to figure it out since the rods are mostly in an area I cannot see and I have eye surgery a few weeks ago so my vision is poor. I am hoping someone else has had this issue and knows the answer. I do not see anything broken with the plastic box , lid or hinges with the recessed pockets in them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you take a look there are 2 bars the one bar that came loose can only go up into one of the 2 slots because the slot is being used by the second bar on one side if that makes sense
I am wondering if the second bar popped into a slot on its own that it should not be in occupying the space that the loose bar needs to go into on mine. Chryslers sells each "spring" as per side L and R so I wonder if they were supposed to be connected together under the door where you cant really see it without taking the door off

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
if you take a look there are 2 bars the one bar that came loose can only go up into one of the 2 slots because the slot is being used by the second bar on one side if that makes sense
I am wondering if the second bar popped into a slot on its own that it should not be in occupying the space that the loose bar needs to go into on mine. Chryslers sells each "spring" as per side L and R so I wonder if they were supposed to be connected together under the door where you cant really see it without taking the door off
The bar on the right is in the correct position.

The bar on the left needs to be attached to the top and the bar that is hanging around on the right needs to be attached to the lower position.

If you look at the right side lid and left side base, you'll see how these bars are torsioned. You'll need to repeat this in reverse for the left side lid and right side base.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bar on the right is in the correct position.

The bar on the left needs to be attached to the top and the bar that is hanging around on the right needs to be attached to the lower position.

If you look at the right side lid and left side base, you'll see how these bars are torsioned. You'll need to repeat this in reverse for the left side lid and right side base.
thanks I appreciate the help. This is what I thought however both ends that are loose are part of the same bar so when pushing the left end into the top mounting area the right side moves to the top as well and as soon as I go to attempt to connect the lower right end it pops out of the upper left end if you can picture this.

The box I am having issues with is the drivers side so I am not sure how to get the bar back in place on both sides at the same time since it pushes against the lower right side and and fits in the the groove on the left upper hinge and against the small tab near it

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
thanks I appreciate the help. This is what I thought however both ends that are loose are part of the same bar so when pushing the left end into the top mounting area the right side moves to the top as well and as soon as I go to attempt to connect the lower right end it pops out of the upper left end if you can picture this.

The box I am having issues with is the drivers side so I am not sure how to get the bar back in place on both sides at the same time since it pushes against the lower right side and and fits in the the groove on the left upper hinge and against the small tab near it
You may have to take the lid off the box. I've never had to repair this so I can't give you specific. Just what I see.

Torsion bars are usually a PITA to reseat.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may have to take the lid off the box. I've never had to repair this so I can't give you specific. Just what I see.

Torsion bars are usually a PITA to reseat.
I am thinking I may need to remove the lid and twist the rod around where it twits the rod 180 degrees and mount it under tension. I spoke to my buddy at the dealer he said they have seen this before and they ended up needing to replace the Rambox itself. I don't think I will see the answer until the lid is removed which I don't want to do since it still works for now
Unfortunately it sounds like my third 100.00 deductible in 7,000 miles for my maxcare extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking I may need to remove the lid and twist the rod around where it twits the rod 180 degrees and mount it under tension. I spoke to my buddy at the dealer he said they have seen this before and they ended up needing to replace the Rambox itself. I don't think I will see the answer until the lid is removed which I don't want to do since it still works for now
Unfortunately it sounds like my third 100.00 deductible in 7,000 miles for my maxcare extended warranty.
@Jeepstang Did you ever figure out a fix for the torsion spring?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts