Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2016 big horn, and I am fed up with the seat. Who makes custom seats that are actually comfortable for these trucks? Remember back in the 90s when trucks actually had nice seats. I'm 6'3" 260. I've owned a Laramie also and that leather wasn't any better.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just wish they went back and down farther. I'm 6'4 and the head and leg room suck. Comfort wise there is much worse out there. Let me know what you find

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Remember back in the 90s when trucks actually had nice seats.
I do remember my '91 GM's seats. As do my back, which still hurts from that one.
Thankfully, my '17 Tradesman seats are just fine. But that could be because I rarely drive more than 1,000 miles in one sitting, so to speak.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
WOW! I didn't know the seats in my truck were uncomfortable junk!

I wonder how I've made it to 531K miles in 5.5 years in such terrible seats???:oops:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My 2015 Lone Star has the same seats as the Big Horn, and while they aren't a big cushy Lay-Z-Boy recliner they aren't that bad.

They tell me the seats in the 2019+ high level trim trucks are better, maybe you could find some of them from a wrecked truck, very likely they would be a direct bolt-in for the earlier trucks since the basic cab hasn't changed.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Ok so I have a 2016 big horn, and I am fed up with the seat. Who makes custom seats that are actually comfortable for these trucks? Remember back in the 90s when trucks actually had nice seats. I'm 6'3" 260. I've owned a Laramie also and that leather wasn't any better.
Thanks for your help.
I remember back in the 90's when they wished the seats were like the ones in the 70's. And back in the 70's, how they wish the seats were like in the 50's.

·
Registered
575 Posts
recaro makes some AWESOME seats, but get ready to open your wallet wide to get them, I had a set installed in a custom show/mud truck I built yrs back, and a few other things over the years, they were way ahead of things when I had them, zero complaints minus price tag!

But these days with vehicles having so many air bags and things being designed around them, I am not so sure they would be able to work as OEM designed , if they allowed you to sit lower or farther back or??
but if you wish for custom seats, this would a good place to start

·
Registered
575 Posts
here a few to look at too, again, NOT cheap,. but they are a upgrade for sure

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
I remember back in the 90's when they wished the seats were like the ones in the 70's. And back in the 70's, how they wish the seats were like in the 50's.
Didn't the wooden seats in the C-cabs of the early 1900s get fairly good reviews?
Or maybe that was because the drivers could sit down instead of pulling a wagon themselves?

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Different strokes (seats) for different folks!! I was practically born in GM trucks and owned only Chevy or GMC trucks until 2015 when I got my Laramie. These are by far the best most comfortable seats I’ve ever had the pleasure of sitting in for many a 2-3K trips. I’m 6’4” and 290 and other than another comment on here about wishing the seats went back at least a couple inches further, I love it!!

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RamHunter18

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Thanks for your help.
What trucks were those? Your seats are vastly better than my '07's. My bil's 97 F-250 seats were like sitting in a bucket at 120K. My '89 Chevy 3500's seats were awful.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can easily adapt any off road seat with for pieces of angle iron. I purchased one of the most comfortable seats ever manufactured in brand new condition off race dezert classifieds for $150 each. Check out PRP’s enduro seat.

Reactions: seafish

·
Registered
874 Posts
The premium cloth in my 97 was good but the premium cloth in my 03 and now my 12 are awesome. Maybe you need sciatica, like I have, for them to work! Craig

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 76 280Z had the best seats in any vehicle I drove. Lots of side bolster support, good on long trips. That tiny car actually had more room than the drivers seat of my truck.

You do remember your driving a domestic truck right?

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I worked for a air freight/hot shot delivery company that used 3/4 and 1 ton vans, and one of the most comfortable seats I ever sat in for a long distance drive was in a 3/4 ton chevy van, think it was like a 2003 year model, very cushy and supportive, really surprised me.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Mine has the upgraded cloth interior. Don't know what they call it but it's the most comfortable interior I've had in a long time. I like it better than than my old Cadillac Seville seats or my Expedition Eddie Bauer seats. The reason I mention it is you might be able to find them in a junkyard or maybe even order them as slip covers for your current seats. Maybe check an Auto Upholsterer. You can put them on yourself but, trust me on this one -- You don't want to.

But..... I don't like leather. Leather just simply SUCKS. It's hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter and I don't like my shirt sticking to the back of the seat. Or the dreaded assrash. Even with the Peltier cooled seats in the Eddie Bauer, it was either hot and sticky or cold and hard. The leather on my wife's new titanium Edge is pretty nice but it's still leather. It's better than in the old days. I guess it depends on where you live. In South Florida, leather is no fun, IMHO.

The only seats I ever had that were more comfortable were on a '99 F-150 with the 60/40 arrangement. Cloth. That truck rode like a dream. Like sitting on a cloud.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Looks like it'd be easy enough to move the stock seat back another inch, or two, or three.
That would require me to not be so lazy!!! Well, the fact that it’s going to be >115 degrees today slows me down just a little too!!

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
You can easily adapt any off road seat with for pieces of angle iron. I purchased one of the most comfortable seats ever manufactured in brand new condition off race dezert classifieds for $150 each. Check out PRP’s enduro seat.

View attachment 909012 View attachment 909015
The bolsters on those seats make it a bit of a chore getting in and out. My much younger friend kept his for a few months but tired of the issues.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts