Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's just a concept right now, but Ram's Heavy-Duty based Long Hauler, is already making waves. Based on a Class 5 Heavy Duty Chassis Cab, it features an 8-foot long dually pickup box and extra fuel provisions – a 60 gallon resevoir mounted between the cab and the bed, plus a further bed mounted fuel tank that holds 50 gallons.

That results in a total fuel capacity of 162 gallons, which, combined with the proven Cummins 6.7-liter straight-six diesel and six-speed automatic, should give this truck the ability to cover distances of around 1,600 miles between fill ups when pulling a large trailer (think tri-axle). That means, you could drive this thing from the East Coast to the West, only having to stop for fuel twice.

As it's been conceived for long-distance hauling, this rig is not surprisingly loaded to the gunwhales with creature comforts; adjustable rear foot rests, tray tables, built-in refrigerator and Wi-Fi are just some of the features.

Given that the Long Hauler has a Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCW) of a staggering 37,500 lbs, it needs a suspension that is up to the task, as a result the front and rear 19.5 inch wheels and tires are connected to a Kelderman air-bag suspension with automatic self-leveling.

More: Ram Long Hauler Delivers 1600 Miles Between Fill-ups on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
687 Posts
That's all fine a dandy and a cool idea, i like it in fact, but you have to stop and think, They had to add a whole lot more fuel carrying capacity to get it to travel that far. It has to carry 162 gallons to go 1600 miles. That's basically 10 mpg, which may be do able. The 6.7s seem to average right around that when hauling heavy. However, various factors such as (load, location or varying terrain,fluctuations in climate, etc.) are going to cause drastic fluctuations in fuel economy. Also, its not practical. Who in their right mind is going to travel 1600 miles non-stop? You are going to have to stop along the way, and more often than not you will be stopping at a gas station or truck stop so you could just fill up when you stop to take a break. So the added fuel carrying capacity really means nothing. Plus, with fuel at $4 a gallon that totals up to a whopping $648 a fill up give or take. Ouch! Cool idea and will probably be really popular with hotshotters and other heavy haulers. Just kinda seems like they didn't think it through all the way. I would definetly like to see one though. Just my thoughts on it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
10,680 Posts
Hmm... who needs a truck that long... oh wait :hehe:

I really hope that becomes a reality :thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is that megacab longbed?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
That's all fine a dandy and a cool idea, i like it in fact, but you have to stop and think, They had to add a whole lot more fuel carrying capacity to get it to travel that far. It has to carry 162 gallons to go 1600 miles. That's basically 10 mpg, which may be do able. The 6.7s seem to average right around that when hauling heavy. However, various factors such as (load, location or varying terrain,fluctuations in climate, etc.) are going to cause drastic fluctuations in fuel economy. Also, its not practical. Who in their right mind is going to travel 1600 miles non-stop? You are going to have to stop along the way, and more often than not you will be stopping at a gas station or truck stop so you could just fill up when you stop to take a break. So the added fuel carrying capacity really means nothing. Plus, with fuel at $4 a gallon that totals up to a whopping $648 a fill up give or take. Ouch! Cool idea and will probably be really popular with hotshotters and other heavy haulers. Just kinda seems like they didn't think it through all the way. I would definetly like to see one though. Just my thoughts on it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
blah blah blah who cares it's cool, and if I could drive that far without stopping I would ask anybody who rides with me :)

Hmm... who needs a truck that long... oh wait :hehe:

I really hope that becomes a reality :thumbsup:
:buttkick: give me that truck

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
How many times does this really have to be posted????

Reactions: dzlbudman

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
if i had the money id buy one, i need the foot rest and mini fridge.:hehe: i would really love to have one. if they want to give me one for durability test, im open to it. i can push the limits of it:rof i would even be willing to see how many people like the truck and give them to ram executives.

so if anyone from ram is reading this please give me this truck, i'd really appreciate it.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
big fricken deal what its cost to fill the thing? the fuel is gona cost the same whether you fill up 10 times or once. If you have to come up with a dumb argument like that you have nothing. Personally I think the fuel compacity would be awsome, fill up at that mom and pop in the middle of no where for 3.50 istead of filling at every major truck stop for 4.50 - 5. I think its a great idea. I looked at a truck once that was owned by a long hauler and it had a 150 gallon tank in the bed. the plus the 35 gallon factory tank is a lot of fuel. He could fill up locally here and not have to fill as much when its higher priced. He pulled from my hometown here in south dakota to indiana and back.

Love the look of that truck. Maybe they should put a 10spd in it.:rofthen i would be first in line for one.:hehe:Similar to the BFT i saw runniing around the internet a couple years ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
high GCW

How is it that the GCW is that high? Don't you need a CDL to have a GCW more than 26,000.

And while we are on the topic why is the GCW on our trucks only 20,000. I was surprised to find this out. I really can't legally tow much more than what half tons are rated at these days.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
How is it that the GCW is that high? Don't you need a CDL to have a GCW more than 26,000.

And while we are on the topic why is the GCW on our trucks only 20,000. I was surprised to find this out. I really can't legally tow much more than what half tons are rated at these days.
That doesnt mean you cant, we pull a 30ft flatbed with over 20000 in just cargo. It maybe isnt legal but, I taek pride in knowing no halfton could do that. And not show it. That is half of the life of my dads truck, thats what it does in the summer. He has 100k on his 04 and has only invested 600 bucks in it, and that was for brakes (weird right).

·
08 Cummins
2,135 Posts
With the MegaCab, 8' bed, and mid mounted fuel tank, that think probably has the turning radius of a motorhome but I'd buy one if I drove cross country frequently. I think it looks great. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Now if it just had a on board 12k diesel (kubota)generator

·
Registered
949 Posts
That looks like an awesome truck. However, given the specs as far as the air ride front/rear and MCLB, I'd sure hate to see the pricetag on something like this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts