Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a company that sells the srt10 style hoods for our body style ( mine being a 1996 )? And if so are they really functional, because i have never heard of a filter company selling a kit for the diesel.

· Banned
1,322 Posts
youd have to make a custom box for it with a panel filter which would work

· Registered
80 Posts
Ram air will not work any better on a turbo intercooled vehicle.

Other than the look which may be desired think about what ram air does for a sec. The scoop sits in a high pressure area to pressurize the intake system and get additional flow. The turbo was made part of the intake system to increase pressure and flow. So how is a few psi before a turbo going to make any appreciable gains? It will not give any cooler air nor any more "boost" by the time it reaces the combustion chamber.

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
Ram air will not work any better on a turbo intercooled vehicle.

Other than the look which may be desired think about what ram air does for a sec. The scoop sits in a high pressure area to pressurize the intake system and get additional flow. The turbo was made part of the intake system to increase pressure and flow. So how is a few psi before a turbo going to make any appreciable gains? It will not give any cooler air nor any more "boost" by the time it reaces the combustion chamber.
Ummm I picked up 1mpg on the highway. Dropped my IAT 50-100 degrees. Dropped my EGT's a little over 100 degrees. So they do make a difference.

· Registered
80 Posts
Ummm I picked up 1mpg on the highway. Dropped my IAT 50-100 degrees. Dropped my EGT's a little over 100 degrees. So they do make a difference.
1 MPG is negligable IMO and could be down to consistancy in the measurement and driving. As far as the other measurements you have the data and I don't. Could be down to intake modifications and not so much to the "ram air" effect.

I have run many ram airboxes and even homebuilt my own to great success. But I just don't see massive gains on a turbo vehicle unless it is correcting a restrictive intake or horribly hot intake air or it is a highly modded vehicle that needs all the help it can get to keep air cool and flowing.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys but i still need a company's name.

· Registered
8 Posts
Just got my truck hammered by Hail. The hood is toast. Insurance will buy me new hood. I was looking at the Functional RAM Air. They will paint and send everything including the filter box, K&N filter and accessories for 1.5K. Has anybody gone this way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.