Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite guys. I woke up on this fine -10 degree Kansas weather this mornin. started my truck to let it warm up. after a good 25 min. warm up I leave to go to work. as I get out of town (2 min of driving) I go to speed up the rail pressure starts to surge, I loose all pedal then it comes back and it's fine then it all happens again. them the truck dies. this is repeated a few times. so i pulled over called my buddy he came an got me and we went to get a bottle of 911, my first assumption is gelled fuel. I put the bottle of 911 in the truck does the same thing just idling. so them assuming my airdog filters are frozen I sat underneath in the snow with a propane heater to try and unfreeze them. that didn't help now the truck won't even start at all. any help is greatly appreciated

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
Just went through this a week or two ago. 4 hours of working on it with a bottle of 911 and a propane torch wouldn't get er started. I ended up leaving sit till it got in the 20s.

I also let it warm up in the drive and it didn't have any issues till not even a mile down the road.

I'm gonna say its gelled fuel. The spikes you saw in PSI were from the combination of gelled/not gelled fuel coming through the lines/filters. It finally dies when it plugs completely. I melted what was in the filters with the torch, but as soon as it pumped more cold fuel from the tank it gelled right back up.

Not to mention if that pump isn't circulating the fuel, IMO the 911 just sits in the tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
223 Posts
i just had a very similar issue yesterday! i did every thing you mentioned the only difference was with the truck OFF my rail psi was registering anywhere from 10k to 15k psi weird right?
i had my boss get a new rail pressure sensor and once i knew he had it in hand i pulled old sensor out and gave it a peice of my mind with a wrench then thought for hoots and higgles put it back in, truck fired up and ran perfectly! WTH?!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My truck has done the exact same thing with road surging atleast 5 times this winter and always the same issue. Its your filter plugging up. Before diesel gells up completely it clouds where there are small paraffin wax particles that will plug you 3um airdog or even fass filters. Try finding a slightly less restrictive filter. I found a 7um for my fass and installed a filter heater (for added insurance) and haven't had a problem since

03 qcsb 2500 mild 48re 4x4 5.9 HO
edge jwa fass titanium 95 5" TBE
leveled on 35s

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
i picked up a fuel heater as well. 40$ shipped. should stick right to the side of the AD mounting block.

80w - 12v - heater pad

what heater did you get benoj?

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
200 watts! wow thats a hell of a heater. im sure thatll work just fine. lol. pullin some serious juice too, 16 amps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah that's why it's hooked up to a 40a relay thats powered up by a switch on an accessory circuit

leveled on 35s

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
Why would you do that? Useless.

Probably contributing to your problem as well.
could you explain how a 25 min warm up causes surges in rail pressures and a no start?

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
Yeah that's why it's hooked up to a 40a relay thats powered up by a switch on an accessory circuit

leveled on 35s
i thought about gettin fancy hookin it up to a temperature switch and have it heat the fuel to a certain point but i figured that would get expensive fast. ill just hook it up to a switch in the cab for now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well my fuel was deffinately gelled, after replacing the filters and cutting the old ones open revealed a ungodly amount of paraffin, but once it warmed up outside and the new filters runs like a dream again. as for the 25 min warm up, that day it warmed up alittle longer than usual, I was running behind so I didn't leave when I wanted. I always let it warm up for 15 min typically on cold mornings. I was simply explaining my morning and the series of events leading up my truck being dead on the side of the road.

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those filter heaters are very nice. I was going to get one of them before I ran across the one I got from ebay.

leveled on 35s

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
does yours fit ok?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ya barely. Can't use any smaller filter with the one I got. Used a couple hose clamps just in case the velcro straps decided to let go

leveled on 35s

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
could you explain how a 25 min warm up causes surges in rail pressures and a no start?
Yes... Moving the fuel through the lines in small quantities for such a long period of time while not putting any load on the engine will cool the fuel much faster than leaving it all in the tank. It is more likely to begin to gel up.

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
until it reaches the cp3, the fuel travels at the same rate through the low pressure lines. the LP is either on or off, its not variable. the cp3 uses what it needs at that moment and sends the rest back to the tank through the fuel return circuit. fuel wise...if anything, i would think a longer idle time would mean warmer fuel from going through the return circuit.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
until it reaches the cp3, the fuel travels at the same rate through the low pressure lines. the LP is either on or off, its not variable. the cp3 uses what it needs at that moment and sends the rest back to the tank through the fuel return circuit. fuel wise...if anything, i would think a longer idle time would mean warmer fuel from going through the return circuit.
You can think whatever you want but the guy even came back to say it was gelled fuel. It was running fine for a while, which means the fuel was not gelled. Then after an extremely excessive warm up period, it stopped running and was gelled. What does that tell you? The proper way to warm up the truck is to get in and drive it. I have had plenty of negative degree days here and no gelling problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.