Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just wonder what normal rail pressure should be?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
What do you mean "normal"???? Stock? Max?

Stock/pressure box, I'm seeing 6.5k psi at idle.
Stock, max of around 22k psi.
Pressure box, max around 26k psi.
Stock cruising is upper teens...
Pressure box, cruising around 20k psi.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts

about the same here, I don't hit a max quiet that high...more around 24k psi.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Same numbers here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just installed a auto meter cobalt rail pressure gauge an I see about 7k at hot idle and aroud 10k when it's cold. Max pressure I have ever sceene is 22k. It cruises around 18-19k. I was wondering if it was normal for the pressure to dorp when you lay on the throttle? Mine will sometimes drop clear down to 11-2k...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ment it would drop to 12-11k

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do not have any fueling upgrades yet. First on the list is a lift pump, but money doesn't come easy in college. I have been running switch 3 on my smarty. There is 40k miles on the cp3 I didn't think that was alot. Is it? And What should I do first the lift pump or upgrading the cp3?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
on stock i get 7600-8000 at idle,at 70 i see about 17.5 to 18 depending on the terrain and wide open i see 22-23k.
with preasure box my idle is the same but at 70 im at about 19.5 to 20k but changes with the road, and see 26k at wide open and have been as far as 28k not paying attention and watching my gauges.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I do not have any fueling upgrades yet. First on the list is a lift pump, but money doesn't come easy in college. I have been running switch 3 on my smarty. There is 40k miles on the cp3 I didn't think that was alot. Is it? And What should I do first the lift pump or upgrading the cp3?
lift pump for sure! if you got a few extra shinney pennies get a f/p gauge.

bowz

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the help guys I just have one more question. Should i do the lift pump first to help with the rail pressure or should I mod my pump with something like the arson 3 kit to help resolve the problom? Oh and I know this has probably been discused many times but what lift pump gph should I be looking at???

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
lift pump for sure! don't need to fry your expensive cp3! 40k miles on a cp3 isn't alot, aslong as its getting its fuel! my fass 150 works just fine for me and i doubt if i will ever outgrow it.

i'm sure others will chime in

bowz

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the way this is off subject but what tune are you running on your juice I see in your pic it's smoking alot. I have a buddy down here in mount veron with that programer and he wants it to smoke but even on level 5 the thing doesn't smoke anything like mine does with the smarty.?.?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
does he have a lift pump? he probably is starving his eng also, or has his smoke control turned all the way down. edge doesn't fuel that hard down low. i rigged up a boost fooler for the smoke in my avatar.

bowz

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea he has an air dog 150. At least I think it a 150 not 100% on the size of it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
well this is funny, doing a search to find out what normal rail pressure is without a pressure box and came across this thread. already posted you need good psi to the cp3, i've got 14-15 at wot i'm oinly gettin 15K, looks like i'm to low.

bowz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts