Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Radio has power to it,just acts like it doesnt

663 5
A test light says my radio has power to it.clock doesnt light up,no power evident. Same with donor radio from different car which works fine in that car.

So how does a radio ground itself? The metal strap on back is attached to a metal bracket under dash. BUT donor radio played without that in car it came from.

I was thinking maybe all my speakers were broke,BUT then clock should still work,lights come on etc.

Strange symptom was last it worked turning off the radio didnt stop it,had to shut truck off,

Test light says first two wires on LEFT side, most towards the steering wheel were constant hot and switched hot. Anybody KNOW which wire is a ground wire in the loom??

Where else to LOOK??
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,444 Posts
had the same problem puttin aftermarket in my truck the junk walmart adapter dosent supply a ground i tapped my map light for one, dash is mostly fiberglass
there is a ground in the loom thats how the factory radio does it I think third wire from left side next too the switched hot but i dont know for sure thats why i tapped
ch

· Registered
94 Posts
There is no ground wire built into the black or gray plugs. The ground is the braided wire that bolts to the back of the factory radio. If installing an aftermarket radio, crimp a ring terminal to the radio ground, then use a short bolt and nut of proper size to connect the braided ground wire to the radio ground ring terminal.

Sometimes a radio will ground itself to the antenna plug well enough so that you don't need the braided ground. Maybe that is how the donor radio was grounded, to the antenna.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.