Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Radiator issue

575 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  bobweiser
I am new so go easy. Does it hurt to run without a radiator cap? Just bought a truck that way. The guy said that it builds up pressure and leaks with the cap on. Been running it that way for a while. Sure that I need a new radiator, but was wondering about running it with out the cap while waiting to get it fixed. Anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Don't you lose a ton of coolant everywhere you go? As long as you keep coolant in it should be fine.

· Registered
150 Posts
you can run the truck without the cap? never knew that

· Registered
814 Posts
You can, but you can't tow in the summer without it. Once when I did my oil change I sat on my radiator carp and twisted it loose with my a$$ cheek.

Towing the race car in a 34 foot enclosed trailer in KY hills it kept overheating. I figured the radiator was clogged with oil from the breather tank. Turns out the radiator cap was just sitting there. Tightened it back up and it was good to go.

· Registered
493 Posts
What leaks. You need more info. Sounds like there is more problems there.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switched out the radiator and the problem went away. Found a hairline crack. My biggest concern was the possibility that it was a blown head gasket. Thanks for the replies. My latest problem is shearing wheel studs. I will do a search on that to see what's up with these trucks. The auto parts guy told me he sells a ton of them. I lost five off of one tire. Pretty freaky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.