Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a oil change last night and it seemed a little water was in it so i checked my radiator to see if it was low and found it was full of oil not good also overflow container was full of oil so i quit driving it immediately but is it the head gasket or something else :CRY:

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
I agree. My other thought would be the oil cooler, but those rarely go bad! Like IC Smoke, my condolances. Sorry!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the bad news guys. guess it's time for a new head

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Yup, time to yank the head and look er over. Well, looks like a good time to do orings and studs!:thud:

·
Registered
565 Posts
In how many cases dose the head warp when you blow a gasket? Why couldn't he not pull the head, clean the surfaces and drop in a new gasket?

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
With the amount of heat, heat distribution, and cooling, ect, its a very good idea to at least check it for straightness. However, with his mods, I would just do it right while its apart, cheaper then doing it again later.

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
In how many cases dose the head warp when you blow a gasket? Why couldn't he not pull the head, clean the surfaces and drop in a new gasket?
We own an Independent diesel repair shop here in Wisconsin, and we've found that nine times out of ten if you don't have the head machined, you'll be doing another headgasket in the not-so-distant future! Better get it machined as long as its all apart! :thumbsup

·
Registered
565 Posts
We own an Independent diesel repair shop here in Wisconsin, and we've found that nine times out of ten if you don't have the head machined, you'll be doing another headgasket in the not-so-distant future! Better get it machined as long as its all apart! :thumbsup
When you Deck 9 out of 10 heads, how much material do you remove on an average to get the head flat again?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
When you Deck 9 out of 10 heads, how much material do you remove on an average to get the head flat again?
I honestly couldn't tell ya, we take all of our heads to a local 0ne-man machine shop. He takes care of them for us!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell ya, we take all of our heads to a local 0ne-man machine shop. He takes care of them for us!
:thumbsup I'm just trying to get an idea how bad the heads warp. thanks for the info tho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thought mine was head gasket but instead it was the oil cooler

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
It just depends on how much it is warped.

There is not a real number they warp to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys i'm questioning my oil cooler now when i did drain the oil it seemed like just black oil did not seem to be milkly like antifreeze was in it but the radiator was all milky so i dont know. how would i know if it was just the oil cooler.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
:thumbsup I'm just trying to get an idea how bad the heads warp. thanks for the info tho.
I rebuilding one right now that had a .004" twist in it at the t-stat housing.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
ok guys i'm questioning my oil cooler now when i did drain the oil it seemed like just black oil did not seem to be milkly like antifreeze was in it but the radiator was all milky so i dont know. how would i know if it was just the oil cooler.
I have heard of some folks pressurizing it with compressed air and finding leaks that way. The only bad part of that is you end up with oil blown all over your face!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
problem solved it was the head gasket:$:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts