Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Racor Water Separator Filter

3452 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mini14
Who is using a Racor water separator filter? What model? Like it? Head and filter or just the filter on another head?
Aren't they the grandaddy of the water separator companies? When I got my first diesel in the early 80s that's the brand I heard about. They have a lot of models and am not sure what gph is right for a pickup.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
When looking at their models you want one that removes at least 95% free water and 95% emulsified water per J1839 and J1488 specs (respectivley). For flow on a stock LP you want 60GPH or greater, and go up from there depending on the pump. But I would say a 80-100GPH rating would be more than sufficient for any truck.

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When looking at their models you want one that removes at least 95% free water and 95% emulsified water per J1839 and J1488 specs (respectivley). For flow on a stock LP you want 60GPH or greater, and go up from there depending on the pump. But I would say a 80-100GPH rating would be more than sufficient for any truck.
Hey take a look at this catalog page. I'm wondering about gph. The 400 series get up past 11" tall for 60 and 90 gph units. Am wondering if a 45 gph unit would work for a lowish-medium hp rig. I noticed on another page that the drop-in stock replacements they sell for the 7.3 Powerstroke and and older Dodges are 30 gph filters, and a busy diesel shop in Sacramento puts 200 series with 30gph on pickups but don't know how many of these are modded trucks. So I'm wondering if 60+gph is really needed.:confused013:
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...atid=2906486&vgnextcat=400+SERIES+SPECS&Wtky=

And they only say 99% water removal for their filters, and they have 2, 10, 30 micron options for all of them. Can't seem to find more details yet on the water spec. Will keep looking, maybe phone them next week.

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
i have the racor r60 model on my hino, what would u like to know ? imho they r quailty filter. It has the cartridge and clear bowl design. when i cant get them in a rush i buy fleetguard fs1287 its the replacement for it, i think 10 mic. i used to use junk wix, which would rust the metal on the bottom. I see racors come factory on many freightliners and all hinos. due to its large width u would be stuck buying a racor base to accomodate it.

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the racor r60 model on my hino, what would u like to know ? imho they r quailty filter. It has the cartridge and clear bowl design. when i cant get them in a rush i buy fleetguard fs1287 its the replacement for it, i think 10 mic. i used to use junk wix, which would rust the metal on the bottom. I see racors come factory on many freightliners and all hinos. due to its large width u would be stuck buying a racor base to accomodate it.
Mostly looking for success stories with particular filter/head assemblies, and deciding on minimum gph, and still need to find out if their Aquabloc II filters are all 98% efficient at 10 micron. Some in the catalog say that but not all. And it doesn't say anything about emulsified water. Your filter is a 60gph that goes in a 460 or 660 assembly. I was thinking a 445 wouldn't hang down as much as a 460 or 490 but AH is scaring me away from 45 gph.

· Registered
108 Posts
the hino that this is on has the r60 primary and a smaller secondary filter, just before entering the injection pump, so far 80k no probs, and it catches a lot of chit.I replace once a year, but drain the bowl every 2 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.