Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated I installed the raceME and did the DPF/EGR delete. I started running it on the "C" version SW1 and it seemed a little under powered and the engine had a knocking noise in it (would be like when you start up a diesel in 20 degree weather knock) when I would stomp on it and it was up to the usual running temp (204-206)

I switched over to "C" version SW2 today and the knocking is gone but I am worried about possible damage to the transmission if I run it too long on this tune. I am not a racer, nor do I run the engine hard when it is cold. I always let it run for 5-6 minutes before I leave (about 10 min if it is below freezing). I average 60,000 miles a year of that 60k about 40k is highway, 8k is off road/construction site/oil field maintenance and the rest is in town.

I just do not want any tranny troubles "down the road" so to speak.

So my questions would be to those of you who have a raceME is:
1.) Which power level do you run on a regular basis?
2.) Any negative side effects from not upgrading anything in your transmission?
3.) Anything you would have done differently?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You need to figure out a way to get a trans tune of some sort. You need to up your line pressure. And changing the shift strategy helps sooooo much. Not sure how you so that with tbe RaceMe product but you really need it for the sake longevity of your 68.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Don't drive it like you stole it and you should be good to go. Keep up with the maintenance on the truck as well. I run sw2 "C" version daily on my truck and like it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm interested in this I run a smarty sr on sw4 which is 90hp I know smarty and raceme are about the same. I ran it on sw3 but truck seemed to run poor I just try to keep my foot out of it maybe I need to invest in one of those to.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Get a sonnax line booster its the same thing as the bd just cheaper its just a fancy resistor I run one on my 2010 firms up the shifts for sure and I always run tow haul

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ran the sonnax line booster for months and its not worth it (not for me anyway). The truck would not shift into 6th gear unless jockeying the throttle, sometimes a lot. Pretty aggravating when going down the highway at 70mph and you are still in 5th gear. Lots of reviews on here stating similar problems. If you are dead set on getting one you can have mine for $20 bucks. I have not doubt it raises pressure but the non shift into 6th got old. As soon as I pulled it off, the tranny shifted fine. Let me know.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine hasnt had the 6th gear issue just holds off until about 50 to 55 mph sometimes which I dont mind stock It would try to go into 6th at 40mph. You can really feel the convertor locking too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran the sonnax line booster for months and its not worth it (not for me anyway). The truck would not shift into 6th gear unless jockeying the throttle, sometimes a lot. Pretty aggravating when going down the highway at 70mph and you are still in 5th gear. Lots of reviews on here stating similar problems. If you are dead set on getting one you can have mine for $20 bucks. I have not doubt it raises pressure but the non shift into 6th got old. As soon as I pulled it off, the tranny shifted fine. Let me know.
I have never heard of the sonnax line booster. To be honest I never thought about transmission tuning until I read it on this site. I had my '06 F-250 tuned with an Edge and never had transmission problems. How exactly do these boosters work? How hard is the install? Anyone have photos of an install?

·
Registered
34 Posts
As stated I installed the raceME and did the DPF/EGR delete. I started running it on the "C" version SW1 and it seemed a little under powered and the engine had a knocking noise in it (would be like when you start up a diesel in 20 degree weather knock) when I would stomp on it and it was up to the usual running temp (204-206)

I switched over to "C" version SW2 today and the knocking is gone but I am worried about possible damage to the transmission if I run it too long on this tune. I am not a racer, nor do I run the engine hard when it is cold. I always let it run for 5-6 minutes before I leave (about 10 min if it is below freezing). I average 60,000 miles a year of that 60k about 40k is highway, 8k is off road/construction site/oil field maintenance and the rest is in town.

I just do not want any tranny troubles "down the road" so to speak.

So my questions would be to those of you who have a raceME is:
1.) Which power level do you run on a regular basis?
2.) Any negative side effects from not upgrading anything in your transmission?
3.) Anything you would have done differently?
I also run the raceme. I run on even # tunes as well. The knock goes away because even # SW2 ,SW4 etc, tunes do not have timing advance. Hence less knocking.
On the tranny side. Go to Rev Max transmission site. In order my next add on's are:
Tranny controller pack
Deep sump Pam and pickup tube
torque converter
Shift kit.
If that breaks...there 550 HP service on my unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have never heard of the sonnax line booster. To be honest I never thought about transmission tuning until I read it on this site. I had my '06 F-250 tuned with an Edge and never had transmission problems. How exactly do these boosters work? How hard is the install? Anyone have photos of an install?
These boosters "fool" the truck into thinking it is producing low transmission pressure and "boosts' the pressure up. Problem with the 68RFE is it can only be raised to 170 psi, no matter what is commanded. The install literally takes 2 minutes once you find the plug on the side of the tranny (you access it under the truck). Unplug the factory harness then plug the sonnax (or whichever you have) in and take it easy for awhile so the tranny gets use to the increased pressure. I have no idea why but some trucks (like mine) do not easily shift into 6th gear with these. I wish it did work, I would like to use mine but its not worth the aggravation IMO.

Reactions: 1st

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't see sw2 hurting anything as long as your not balls to the wall stop light to stop light all day everyday.

I run sw2 with default timing and my truck seems to shift much smoother, it's not near as harsh as it was stock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the BD one and have yet to have any issue with shifting. I don't really notice a huge increase in shift firmness. But it seems to shift a little better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the BD one and have yet to have any issue with shifting. I don't really notice a huge increase in shift firmness. But it seems to shift a little better.
How long have you been running the line booster?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.