Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I havent posted on this forum much but I spend hours reading. Given the level of expertise that some of you have from trial and error I thought I might try and save a couple grand and ask for some good advice.

I'm trying to get to 600hp+ and the way I see it is instead of working my way up I will just go all out the first time and save some dough.

The parts list in the order I will buy and install:

Gauges / rail pressure, boost, pyro.
Smarty
Modified cp3 with that remote mount belt driven overdrive kit( can't think of the name of it )
Head studs
Hamilton cam, pushrods, valve springs
Spool aid
Twin or compound turbos
Clutch
Ddp 120 tips
Trans over/underdrive or lower gear in the chunk

Now my question is first, what's missing from the list or needs to be changed?
Second I hear the Ats 3000-5000 compound kit is slow to spool until you hit 2k-rpm or so. Could you change the A/R of the kit to get it to spool off the bottom sooner, ( would you want to? ) or is the r700 kit what I'm looking for.

If I'm not delusional this should get me 550-600hp and once I do the engine internals I could kick it up to 650-700+

Thanks for the help,
Jb
It's not in the sig but I also have the airdog 150

·
Registered
740 Posts
The ATS kit will be expensive. You could have just as good if not better set from Motorsport Diesel or MPI. I would look into a 62 over an s475. If you want really quick spool up, get the 62 in stainless. You would be lit my 16-17 hundred with those stix. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Both over priced IMO, I ran the the r700 on my CR and wasnt a fan. Now I have a set from Engineered Diesel (which are bigger), work better and cost less.

Source Auto. and Wicked, are two other options.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Both over priced IMO, I ran the the r700 on my CR and wasnt a fan. Now I have a set from Engineered Diesel (which are bigger), work better and cost less.

Source Auto. and Wicked, are two other options.
Wicked is now Motorsport..:doh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to give motorsport a call. If I can tell them what I'm looking for maybe they can set me up with what I need.

The only thing I worry about is blowing up the nv5600 with the extra power. It takes all of the fun out of the truck if you don't abuse it. I don't think it will hold up to speedshifting and you can tell it doesn't want to. I tried shifting it fast when I first got the truck but you can tell that's not a good idea.

I also have an 07 duramax with the allison. Now that's a tranny. Wish dodge would use it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'll have to give motorsport a call. If I can tell them what I'm looking for maybe they can set me up with what I need.

The only thing I worry about is blowing up the nv5600 with the extra power. It takes all of the fun out of the truck if you don't abuse it. I don't think it will hold up to speedshifting and you can tell it doesn't want to. I tried shifting it fast when I first got the truck but you can tell that's not a good idea.

I also have an 07 duramax with the allison. Now that's a tranny. Wish dodge would use it.
Just use it, not ABUSE it. There are pulling trucks running 900+hp through the stock nv5600. And definately give Shane @ motorsport a call, his stuff is nice!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
To the original poster the Ats 3k-5k kit is not slow spooling at all. I have 120 ddps and it spools great and the egts are very good. Id like to go to 150s eventually though for alittle more power. I do agree they are overpriced though and Id suggest calling Ats directly for the best deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To the original poster the Ats 3k-5k kit is not slow spooling at all. I have 120 ddps and it spools great and the egts are very good. Id like to go to 150s eventually though for alittle more power. I do agree they are overpriced though and Id suggest calling Ats directly for the best deal.
Good info. I wonder if my truck would turn that setup with my 50s I just put these brand new injectors in 5k mi ago. I know I would need to upgrade but if I could get by for a couple months that would be good.

I don't tow anything with my truck but if I wanted to would it work with your setup

·
Registered
226 Posts
50's will spool those turbos just fine!! you can spool them on stock tips...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear that I could push the ats compounds with the 50's... At first I wanted to put a stage 3 garrett gt3788r in but after a little looking the twins I think they are the way to go.

But will it still tow 12-15k without egt issues?
Like I said I never tow but I want to be able to.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
ran the r-700's for over a year, they were awesome in every way. had ddp 90's and put down 700hp with them, and at the time was running 11.9's also..lightning fast spool up, and egt's were never a problem.i run there 850's now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm going with the 5k stocker setup and from what heard you don't need injectors to make it quick spooling

·
Registered
242 Posts
I read a forum about diesel power source and there twin stocker setup, and they run a s475 and everyone says with 2600$ price tag on it you get what you pay for. I've looked around and all the diesel shops are selling that turbo for about 700$ in the twin kit they sell. Have you had a bad experience with the 5k or from ATS in general. Any info helps

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
r 700's here got them for a super deal and they are great. spool fast and keep egt's in check right now but i dont know whats gonna happen with these stage 2 bbi's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts