Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever heard of this?
I was trolling the "theturboforums.com" and came across this contraption and was curious if something like this would work for us.
Quick spool valve on semi divided manifolds
My theory is that it basicly restricts the exhaust and creates backpressure to spool the turbo more quickly, like a small exducer wheel, or am I way off?
The wastegate on it could be set to open at a set psi I'm assuming. If I'm thinking correctly, it would load the motor and build boost just by pressing the pedal, so boosted launches would be alot easier, but then again I may be out in LEFT field somewhere looking up at the sky spinning round and round.

·
Registered
507 Posts
IMO, that would create a whole lot of backpressure and a sh!t load of heat!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
i may be thinking wrong here but if u block off one of dividers wont that slow spool up by only sending half the exhaust gases to the turbo and the other half back to the engine like a exhaust brake....

I could be way off but thats how my mind sees it....

·
Registered
507 Posts
well the idea is to create more pressure through one side and the exaust will be forced faster to spin the wheel faster. it just like a garden hose, free flowing it just pours out, block half it off and it spays out, but i think it would hurt more than help, sure it might work. But how long will the motor and exaust manifold and exaust housing last under the high temps from it?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
That would be good if our manifold was connected before the divide but it is not so the half you block off has no place to go but back to the engine....

·
Registered
507 Posts
That would be good if our manifold was connected before the divide but it is not so the half you block off has no place to go but back to the engine....
true, i didnt think about that!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah but couldnt we "massage" our manifold into a single plane type instead of a divided type?
And I know its going to make heat, but isnt that what drives our turbos?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
i dont see why not....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
why go to all of the trouble to try and figure out how to make it work, when you could just swap out your cam and get the same result.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Son of a tugger, I was thinking of this for quite some time now. So sounds like it doesn't work even without the housing divider?

·
Registered
13,851 Posts
call Chris @ E.D.

they worked on this for a while, and eventually shelved it... it won't do anything a wastegated housing won't, and once it's open, you have uneven flow through the housing. They just never could get it ironed out the way they'd hoped

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
call Chris @ E.D.

they worked on this for a while, and eventually shelved it... it won't do anything a wastegated housing won't, and once it's open, you have uneven flow through the housing. They just never could get it ironed out the way they'd hoped
But the theory is halfa$$ed correct, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts