Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to the diesel world and lookin into buying a 96 auto 4x4. i think it needs a new heater grid. how much and how hard are they to change

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,006 Posts
Check the 2 solenoids on the inner fender under the left hand battery. Mine had wires off, hooked them up, now it works.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. i think thats whats wrong with it. it has 174xxx on it and it takes awhile to start up. he said everythings original so i was just makeing sure it wasnt anything major like the injection pump or lift pump

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,006 Posts
thanks everyone. i think thats whats wrong with it. it has 174xxx on it and it takes awhile to start up. he said everythings original so i was just makeing sure it wasnt anything major like the injection pump or lift pump
More likely it's the fuel lines. The rubber gets old and allows air to seep in, then you get lost prime.
When you turn on the key, does the "wait to start" light come on?
Does the voltmeter show a discharge, usually down to about 8 volts?
If so the heat grids are OK.
The fuel lines are a much more common problem, and a very cheap fix. Just get some rubber, diesel rated, 3/8" supply line, and 5/16" return line. Replace the whole thing with rubber. I got mine from my local Peterbilt dealer, but any farm fleet type place should have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts