Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
no, 03 started the Common Rail. Big changes. Someone else will chime in I'm sure to get more specific.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being it was the first two years for the new common rail, are there any "common" problems I should be looking forward to having?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think it might have had a lift pump issue, but they may have cleared that up with the 04. I have heard about injector problems with the edge chip/module on the 03/early04's. Other than that I think the normal front end problems, ball joints and such should be about it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
No...they did not clear up the lift pump failure until 2006. My o4.5 and my father in laws 05 both had the lift pump go out at exactly the same mileage. About 90,000 it shuts down. The front end is pricey$$!!! But the engine is extemely strong, and if it has the six speed, you will get amazing fuel mileage.
I was getting 22mpg....and thats off a calculator.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
No...they did not clear up the lift pump failure until 2006. My o4.5 and my father in laws 05 both had the lift pump go out at exactly the same mileage. About 90,000 it shuts down. The front end is pricey$$!!! But the engine is extemely strong, and if it has the six speed, you will get amazing fuel mileage.
I was getting 22mpg....and thats off a calculator.
BALLS! I thought they got that fixed for sure for the 05.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts