Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Quick Question about Auto Tranny

695 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  steelhead01 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know if there are any side effects from shifting an automatic transmission from Drive to Neutral while moving. (ex. Coming to a stop and shift into Neutral before coming to a complete stop)

#2 ·
Why would you? I am sure it is hard on the TC.

#3 ·
Not sure why.. just a habit a started and i catch my self doing it sometimes. I notice in the dump trucks I drive after I would shift into Neutral it will jump right before I come to a complete stop.

#4 ·
Matt, every time you engage the transmission it puts the slightest amount of wear on the parts like clutches and bands. What you are doing won't kill it quickly but it will most likely fail sooner than if you were not doing that. It may still take years for anything to happen though...

#5 ·
and the one time you put it into R woopsssss

id try and stop the habit

#6 ·
Verrry True. Im about to get alot of SH** but I have done that before :doh: No need to hide it right, admit when you've been wrong. Consider the habit broke!

#7 · (Edited)
some guys coast down hills with automatics but not needed with the modern high quality coast sprags in todays autos, not needed.

lots of guys in the 60s and 70s with built big cube gas engines with high lift long duration cams that were the hot thing then did the same thing with their auto trannys even with high stall speed TCs. reduced the car flop from the rough motor. kept a guy from banging his head against the window door frame:rof

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.