Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may have overlooked it but could we get a sticky with all the service specs info for follks that pop in here looking for quick info on fluid changes and simple service items.
2006 service manual.
2005 service manual part 1
2005 service manual part 2
2003 service manual

Oil capacity 3 gallons.
Oil pan plug torque 37 foot-pounds
FLEETGUARD LF16035 - STRATAPORE OIL FILTER ('03-'09) DODGE LISLE - FILTER WRENCH
FLEETGUARD FS19856 - 7 micron ULSD compatible o-ring.('03-'07, 5.9L) 29mm socket on the raised hex on the fuel filter housing.
Baldwin PF7977 Fuel Filter
FLEETGUARD AF26106 - AIR FILTER ('03-'07, 5.9L) DODGE

Premium Blue
Shell Rotella T
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super
AMSOIL

Trans fluid capacity Service Fill (filter change and fluid fill)- 48RE (7.0 qts. ) ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
O-haul or completely dry - 48RE 14-16L (17-18 qts.)
Transmission fluid pan bolts 125 in. lbs
Filter screws T25 35 inch pounds
MOPAR -MOP-52118789 REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FILTER ('98-'07 DODGE)
Part #04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid ( TSB 21-009-07 )

Cooling System, Initial Fill 30.0 quarts http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/antifreeze-radiator-products/antifreeze/42 Warning only use HOAT and DI water mixture.

Gates Serpentine Belt K081264

Belt tool

Serpentine belt diagram

Power steering fluid ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid

Transfer case 2.5 qts ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
Fill Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs

Manual Transmission NV5600 6-SPD... 4.75 qt Synthetic Manual SynchromeshTransmission Fluid (MTF)
Fill Plug.....22 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....30 ft-lbs

Manual Transmission G-56 6-SPD...6 qt. ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
Fill Plug 42 Ft. Lbs.
Drain Plug 42Ft. Lbs.

Front axle 9 1/4 AAM 74 oz = 2.31 qt 75W-90 or 75W-110 API GL-5 diff COVER BOLTS 30 ft-lb
Rear axle AAM 11.5 takes 122 oz. = 3.81 qt 75W-90 or 75W-110 API GL-5 diff COVER BOLTS 30 ft-lb
03-003-06 TSB for axle fluid fill level
rear pinion nut is a 36mm 12 point
front pinion nut is a 32mm

The only approved oil filters for Dodge's diesel engine are as follows:
Part # Manufactuer
5083285AA Mopar
LF16035 Fleetguard Stratapore
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratapore
LF3972 Fleetguard Cellulose
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglas
LF3959 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

Note: To maintain your warranty please be sure you use one of the above filters when servicing your truck.

Srw lug nut torque 135ft lbs
Drw lug nut torque 145 ft lbs

BILSTEIN-BE5-6647
BILSTEIN SHOCKS (SILVER/BLACK) - REAR 4WD ('94-'07 DODGE) up to 2" lifted but will fit stock height trucks.
BILSTEIN-BE5-6681 BILSTEIN SHOCKS (SILVER/BLACK) - FRONT 4WD ('94-'07 DODGE) stock height, up to 2" lifted, front suspension
TRACKBAR BUSHINGS

Error Codes For 2003+ 3rd Gen Trucks

3RD GEN guys Check your hose clamps

Rough idle and hard start solved

Dodge Ram Truck Technical Service Bulletins

Another little helpful tip. I learned over the years if it can go bad it will go bad when you are least prepared. I always keep a spare oil /fuel/air filter . I seen a-lot of guys wind up using a crap brand filter on a very expensive engine because that was all they could find at the last minute and the truck really needed an oil change that day. With a set at the ready you will never be stuck using a cheap brand .

·
Registered
478 Posts
I may have overlooked it but could we get a sticky with all the service specs info for follks that pop in here looking for quick info on fluid changes and simple service items.

Example:
Oil capacity 3 gallons.
Oil pan plug torque 37 foot-pounds
Trans fluid capacity Service Fill - 48RE 3.8 L (4.0 qts.)
O-haul - 48RE 14-16L (17-18 qts.)
Trans pan bolts 125 in. lbs
ect ect.
I second that. Great idea!!!

·
Only in a HEMI
27,656 Posts

·
Only in a HEMI
27,656 Posts
A little insight into the Common Rail engine.

2003 to current Dodge Cummins trucks are still equipped with a 24 valve head. As the years progressed, things like galley cooled pistons came on scene. These 3rd generation trucks have the same electronic lift pumps overall (some on engine like 2003, and then in-tank mounted later on), but have a CP3 Common Rail injector system. The CP3 pump pressurizes a common fuel rail that serves all 6 injectors. The injectors themselves are electronically controlled, allowing for multiple injection events per combustion. These trucks are also capable of big power. Performance boxes on these trucks can address injection duration, rail pressure, and timing. Also, the CP3 is proving to be more reliable than the VP44, and these engines are much quieter than the 1998.5 to 2002 trucks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks the older I get the harder it is for me to remember these things. Every time I go to change oil and service the truck Im like was it 37ft lbs or inch lbs . So I always wind up in here looking and trying to hunt every thing down. Thought this would help others that cant remember like me. If you guys think of anything else that would come in handy when doing routine service post it on here and I will add it to the list.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great list. I didn't see a torque spec for the transmission filter torque, which I believe is 35 inch pounds. Also, 4 quarts is way too low. John Holmes from Carson Dodge also a TDR writer and Tim Holt a tranny guru and consultant to Dodge says it's 7 quarts which I use. Anything less than 6 quarts is too low. The book is wrong on this one.

Pete

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
5 micron Baldwin fuel filter versus Fleetguard 7 micron.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB2-02-1.pdf
The Baldwin PF7997 was not one of the four tested

fuel filter wrench size 1-1/8"

In 2005 service manual the transfer case capacity specifies 2 qts for the nv271 & nv273 cases

10/26/06
axle-fluid level
TSB 03-003-06 supersedes TSB 03-001-04
applies to '03-07'
torque fill hole to 24 ft-lb :thumbsup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great list. I didn't see a torque spec for the transmission filter torque, which I believe is 35 inch pounds. Also, 4 quarts is way too low. John Holmes from Carson Dodge also a TDR writer and Tim Holt a tranny guru and consultant to Dodge says it's 7 quarts which I use. Anything less than 6 quarts is too low. The book is wrong on this one.

Pete
Thanks added the torque spec for filter bolts.
Update I added another quart to see and it still not over the full mark. So I would say yes to to the 7 quarts

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the list of aproved oils, what about Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W40 service CJ-4 oil?

·
Registered
83 Posts
just a hair under 7 qts of tranny fluid brought it to the top of the hash marks on the dipstick after i changed the filter and let it all drain for about an hour. this was a great thread for finding which filters and fluids to buy. i have read a ton of threads debating on what filters and fluids are better and everything you have listed sounds like what the majority of people are using.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nube dodge guy hee. I assume nv5600 adn G 56 are the same tranny? Amsoil has an automatic tranny fluid listed, and the dodge dealer says manual tranny fluid, and on here it says synchromesh manual synthetic tranny fluid. Anyone know what kind of amsoil tranny fluid to run?
Also I guess only the mega cabs have the dana 60 front axle, but does it have the anti slip diff just like dana 60 rears? those need a special additive also. In addition to that, amsoil recomends 80w90 for the dana, would severe gear 75w110 work better?
I just bought this truck, and I want to get these things right,
Also amsoil site recomends 5w40 synthetic formulated for the newer 6.7's for my 5.9, is this correct, or what amsoil should I run? 15w40?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NV5600 = Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

G-56 = ATF+4

Someone chime in here if I am wrong . All the 3rd gen axles are AAM and not Dana ?
I think most guys are using the Amsoil SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nube dodge guy hee. I assume nv5600 adn G 56 are the same tranny? Amsoil has an automatic tranny fluid listed, and the dodge dealer says manual tranny fluid, and on here it says synchromesh manual synthetic tranny fluid. Anyone know what kind of amsoil tranny fluid to run?
Also I guess only the mega cabs have the dana 60 front axle, but does it have the anti slip diff just like dana 60 rears? those need a special additive also. In addition to that, amsoil recomends 80w90 for the dana, would severe gear 75w110 work better?
I just bought this truck, and I want to get these things right,
Also amsoil site recomends 5w40 synthetic formulated for the newer 6.7's for my 5.9, is this correct, or what amsoil should I run? 15w40?
Thanks for your help.
They are two different trannys. If your reverse is over to the right, you have an NV5600. That tranny takes the syncromesh fluid. I get Penzoil syncromesh fluid at the auto parts store. If you have a G56 tranny, it takes automatic transmission fluid. Your rear end does not take any special additive for the limited slip, but they say to use synthetic oil in them. I personally use Royal Purple, but Amsoil should be fine too. These trucks all have AAM rear differentials (not Dana).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just updated the First post with more info and a picture to help better recognize the G-56 versus the NV5600.

Anybody have the fluid capacity and drain/fill plug torque specs for the G-56 ?

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
10,680 Posts
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
DIESEL ENGINE - G56 5.6 L (12 pts.)

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
Fill Plug 42 Ft. Lbs.
Drain Plug 42Ft. Lbs.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts