Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do all the clutches come with new flywheels, i've always had them turned at machine shops for my other vehicles. and why do you need the hydrolic kit for the SB's?

·
Registered
510 Posts
why do all the clutches come with new flywheels, i've always had them turned at machine shops for my other vehicles. and why do you need the hydrolic kit for the SB's?
TrampApe-
I don't know about the newer clutches that you are looking at, but can share some experiences of the past.

New flywheels could be recommended because of two or three reasons. One, the original has too many heat checks, is warped, or has a different pressure plate bolt pattern. Another reason is the new one is a lighter material and will make engine rev-up quicker. The third, the company wants to sell more parts/make more money.

As for the Hydraulics: pressure plates of the past have had a higher clamping force. The higher force caused slave cylinder leaks. So maybe the kits you have been looking at have a different/modified, or bigger slave cylinder.

In the past, I have had flywheels machined. But you can only machine them so far before other problems happen. It basically comes down to overall thickness on the wear surface.

I hope that info helps you out.

-Rhyno

P.S the next time you talk to S.K. tell him that he is a real d!ck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
they go from a dual mass (stock) to a single mass flywheel

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I had a dual disc south bend in my old truck and with the new heavy duty hydralics(slave cylinder) it was a lot easier to push the clutch in

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys.

Rhyno, I take it you were in mountain states for a while, S.K. got the axe for from what i heard imbesslement (sp). the new director down here is the ld BA from the 44. seems like a good guy so far. really helping out the montana program

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Like said above, The flywheel for the new clutches is a single mass fly wheel versus the crappy Dual Mass Chrysler is using. They hydraulics are to compensate for the heavier springs in the clutch.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there anyway of uprgrading the clutch on these without doing the new flywheel or hydrolic system? i know it sounds like i'm going cheap, but is all of this nessasary? it just seems like more than it's worth

·
Registered
228 Posts
not that i know of

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I had a customer who insisted he did not want the upgraded hydraulics with his new South Bend. The stock unit failed two days later.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Give the guys a call at Valair. They will take good care of ya. I know saving a couple $$$ by not doing it complete sounds good, but doing it right the first time is ALWAYS CHEAPER!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts