Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I’ve got myself into a predicament here. Long story short, I bought my 06 5.9 with 120,000 miles on it and it threw a rod which blew a hole in the side of the block and snapped the cam in half. As far as I know the head is fine and the rod that went was on its compression stroke so the piston is still in the cylinder and didn’t damage the head. The injectors are stock remans, that came from injectors direct.com and they’re 2 months old with maybe 500 miles on them. My original plan was to buy a reman 5.9 long block from xdp since they had the best price and warranty out there. However I can’t send in a core and I’d loose the 2500 core charge. I do have a new, never been started 6.7 long block from the dealership I work at and was considering selling it to finance my trucks engine. However with the block being new and unused I started doing research on the 5.9 head with 6.7 block.
From what I’ve concluded, I can put my head (after resurfacing) and a 5.9 head gasket on the 6.7 block with the stock injectors and apr head studs and throw it in my truck right? I plan to do a second gen turbo swap from evil fab Preformance.com and was going to use the s467.7 billet turbo (slightly bigger because I’m taking into consideration the extra displacement of the 6.7) and a pulse flow manifold (from apr I think?). Should I be considering anything els with the swap or just continue with my plan to sell the 6.7 long block and buy a 5.9 long block with a warranty?

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CC SRW
61 Posts
following. i wanna see how this goes

Reactions: KMJake

·
Registered
80 Posts
Definitely following. Why not use the 6.7 head and gasket and swap to early injectors? I'm thinking that's the route i'll go, just haven't made up my mind 100% yet. Not sure about all the electronics and how the 2006 5.9 computer will run those earlier injectors. I also saw some chatter somewhere about some of the mounts for the accessories being different between the two - I think it was the power steering pump and the air conditioner compressor bracket. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

C.W.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CC SRW
61 Posts

this could bring some light on your question KMJake

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think the easiest thing to do would be use the entire 6.7 long block and then get some 03-04 spray pattern injectors. I believe you will also need custom tunes to make that combo work, but would be the easiest as I can tell:
builder-put-2003-pistons-in-my-2004-5-now-what.2539385

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used an 04.5 5.9 head on 6.7 block with 03-04 60hp injector nozzles on the 04.5 injectors. Ran just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely following. Why not use the 6.7 head and gasket and swap to early injectors? I'm thinking that's the route i'll go, just haven't made up my mind 100% yet. Not sure about all the electronics and how the 2006 5.9 computer will run those earlier injectors. I also saw some chatter somewhere about some of the mounts for the accessories being different between the two - I think it was the power steering pump and the air conditioner compressor bracket. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

C.W.
You can’t run the 6.7 injectors on the older 5.9 pcm’s. Essentially they were “coded” weird and won’t fire right, kind of like how I can’t run a vgt turbo on a 5.9, it’s just not in the computer system. Also the cups on a 6.7 are different than the 5.9 so I can’t just swap the injectors over (which would have been nice.) Another thing, none of the dash cluster would work properly. I would pretty much do a fourth gen interior swap or jump through a bunch of tuning hoops.
All this being said, the 5.9 head will line right up to the 6.9 so no drilling holes or anything. It’s like a cookie cutter part between 5.9 and 6.7.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used an 04.5 5.9 head on 6.7 block with 03-04 60hp injector nozzles on the 04.5 injectors. Ran just fine.
Anything I should know before I start the swap over? Or am I right in that, I slap the head on and all the mounting (trans, accessories, and engine) will be the same for 5.9& 6.7?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Anything I should know before I start the swap over? Or am I right in that, I slap the head on and all the mounting (trans, accessories, and engine) will be the same for 5.9& 6.7?
I just read, I think in that thread I linked in my earlier post that some were able to put 5.9 injectors in the 6.7 head with no issues. Since your 6.7 long block is brand new, I would try that before I pulled the head off. Also even if you don't use it, try seating those 5.9 injectors in the 6.7 head and let us know if they seat properly. The more info on that out there the better!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read, I think in that thread I linked in my earlier post that some were able to put 5.9 injectors in the 6.7 head with no issues. Since your 6.7 long block is brand new, I would try that before I pulled the head off. Also even if you don't use it, try seating those 5.9 injectors in the 6.7 head and let us know if they seat properly. The more info on that out there the better!
I’ll give it a shot, you’re right in that I wouldn’t have to pull a head on a new block, however I have read contradicting issues with guys being able and not being able to seat the injectors in the 6.7 heads. If it works, great- if not the information can go to a greater cause 😂

·
Registered
980 Posts
I’ll give it a shot, you’re right in that I wouldn’t have to pull a head on a new block, however I have read contradicting issues with guys being able and not being able to seat the injectors in the 6.7 heads. If it works, great- if not the information can go to a greater cause 😂
One interesting note is that PDD only sells 6.7 heads and their site says that the "6.7 head was meant to supersede the 5.9 head, so we only carry the 6.7 head for use on both the 5.9 and 6.7." I know that's not gospel, but those guys seem pretty trustworthy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One interesting note is that PDD only sells 6.7 heads and their site says that the "6.7 head was meant to supersede the 5.9 head, so we only carry the 6.7 head for use on both the 5.9 and 6.7." I know that's not gospel, but those guys seem pretty trustworthy.
Do you know if they machine the 6.7 head to fit 5.9 injectors? Not trying to discredit anything, or anyone, just curious to know if they have a special way to make the injectors seat right. I know that the 5.9 head will block some coolant passages if not at least make them smaller because the 6.7 ports are bigger but if the 5.9 injectors will seat properly then it will be better all around including the fact that the cylinders won’t have excess gasket material in them with the cylinders on the 5.9 being .2” smaller I think.
Seriously don’t think I’m arguing though, the more information I can compile the more issues Myself and others can address.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Do you know if they machine the 6.7 head to fit 5.9 injectors? Not trying to discredit anything, or anyone, just curious to know if they have a special way to make the injectors seat right. I know that the 5.9 head will block some coolant passages if not at least make them smaller because the 6.7 ports are bigger but if the 5.9 injectors will seat properly then it will be better all around including the fact that the cylinders won’t have excess gasket material in them with the cylinders on the 5.9 being .2” smaller I think.
Seriously don’t think I’m arguing though, the more information I can compile the more issues Myself and others can address.
No worries man! I'm not sure if they do any machining to the head or not. I'm thinking that based on the few threads I can find on the topic that the 6.7 injector collar changed at some point so at some point they no longer work. I also saw a thread somewhere stating that you could have BBI or others put a different collar on a 5.9 injector to work in the situation that it won't fit in the 6.7 head. If you're going to have to order new injectors anyway because of the piston design, I would hit up BBI and see if they can shed some light on the subject.

The coolant passage/steam port differences are exactly why I think using the 6.7 head would are preferable. I know many have used the 5.9 head without issue, but I would just think it better to use the head designed for the block it's sitting on.

Here's what I was looking at:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries man! I'm not sure if they do any machining to the head or not. I'm thinking that based on the few threads I can find on the topic that the 6.7 injector collar changed at some point so at some point they no longer work. I also saw a thread somewhere stating that you could have BBI or others put a different collar on a 5.9 injector to work in the situation that it won't fit in the 6.7 head. If you're going to have to order new injectors anyway because of the piston design, I would hit up BBI and see if they can shed some light on the subject.

The coolant passage/steam port differences are exactly why I think using the 6.7 head would are preferable. I know many have used the 5.9 head without issue, but I would just think it better to use the head designed for the block it's sitting on.

Here's what I was looking at:
Sent them a message to see what they’re doing about the injector fitment, and I like where your head is at with seeing if the 6.7 head will work with the injectors. If I can, I’ll try leaving the 6.7 head on it. While I’m thinking about it, seems cheetah is popular vote when it comes to these swaps, I plan on doing a 2nd gen turbo swap through evil fabrication.com and was going to go with the s467.7 anyone know if that’s gonna be too small?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Can't really comment on the size of the 467.7 but I've read that the 2nd gen swap doesn't actually do a whole lot performance wise and the idea behind the 3rd gen manifold is that having the turbo further back actually helps 5 & 6 cool better because the exhaust gas from those has less distance to travel to get to the turbo. But who knows that could be BS.

Since its going in a former 5.9 truck, I think you would not be using a VGT setup right? If not, I think you can find much much cheaper turbo options than the cheetah. Any of the SXEs get rave reviews and are much cheaper than the Fleece turbos.

Also FWIW, I talked to BBI the other day and they will swap injector nozzles and balance for $800. That may be using only their injectors, but seemed like the way to go vs buying new injectors or swapping to QSB pistons in the 6.7, especially if you know your injectors are good.

I'm invested in your success with this because I want to do the same thing and just use an entire 6.7 long block.

Post pics when you get this project rolling!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do, and thanks for the info! Also, you’re correct in that I’m not going to use a vgt, gonna try and stay away from that for simplicity reasons.

3,139 Posts

What ECM and what ECM programming are you using?

There are 4 variables that have to be considered when swapping these engine parts around:

1. Piston shape.
2. Injector angle.
3. ECM.
4. ECM programming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What ECM and what ECM programming are you using?

There are 4 variables that have to be considered when swapping these engine parts around:

1. Piston shape.
2. Injector angle.
3. ECM.
4. ECM programming.
So I am literally running the exact setup as you want to run. The 6.7 on a 463 and 80% injectors is a pretty good combo. 5.9 head works fine on the motor. I got my tuning done by anarchy. Not sure if that helps

·
Registered
100 Posts
04.5 5.9 c/r head
Mine is 04.5 injectors with 03-04 ID dragon fly nozzles
06 ecu and harness
Efi live from optimal welding ( amazing)
2014 block with mahle .20 over 6.7 pistons
For now I have a stock 06 turbo set up but want to upgrade to 66/76/14 or something similar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 6.7 long block will work perfect. Only thing you’ll need is the 04.5 injectors. I run them in my 07 From BBI. The Injectors will bolt right into the head. The piston bowls on the 6.7 are shaped/ designed for the early 3rd gen nozzle pattern. The 06 ecm will work so no need to swap out interior. Just get the 06 ecm tuned to adjust for the pulse width of tbe injectors. Any reputable tuner will know how to do it. And your done! That easy....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts