Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Question regarding lift pump

588 7
Hello everyone long time lurker, but first time poster. I have a question for the experts on this site regarding my lift pump. The truck I just bought has a FASS titanium series transfer pump on it but the OG owner has removed the OEM block mount pump. This will be my 3rd second gen and this is something I have NEVER seen before. Currently in the process of replacing the VP 44, due to the death code I’ve retrieved with my trusty Smarty. Whilst driving home it was cutting out while cruising and doesn’t seem to like to rev over 2k rpm. I’ve had them fail in the past and they had similar symptoms. Did this pump fail because of how the transfer pump was installed? First thing I noticed is the fuel pressure was at 26psi which I’m pretty sure is to way to high. Tried to lower it but the transfer pump doesn’t have a regulator anywhere on it. I’ve attached to pictures showing the VP44, the fuel line was attached to the cleaner looking fitting and there appears to be a metal return line going back to the fuel tank which is shown in the second image. Thank you in advance for the help.

—Lawrence
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Nut

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bicycle tire Automotive design
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
3,227 Posts
The block mounted pump is not used when you go to a FASS. I had the same thing on my 99’ and just left it there. And my VP44 took a dump as well, so I replaced it and bought a FASS Titanium. The way you make pressure is with the internal spring on the FASS. Seems as though yours is too high. I set mine at 17psi and was good to go.

· Registered
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 HO
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The block mounted pump is not used when you go to a FASS. I had the same thing on my 99’ and just left it there. And my VP44 took a dump as well, so I replaced it and bought a FASS Titanium. The way you make pressure is with the internal spring on the FASS. Seems as though yours is too high. I set mine at 17psi and was good to go.
Thanks, I was worried that an improper installation Grenaded the INJ pump. How do you change the pressure? Is it By manipulating the spring?

· Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,365 Posts
They've made changes through the years so you'l want to go on fass's website(make sure it's the right one, there is one that is not official from what it looked like). You will find instructions and info on the pump to adjust pressure.

· Registered
2007 Laramie 3500 5.9L DRW Crewcab LB 4x4 48re 4.10 FASS165 G&R Sump Pacbrake PRXB 31k miles
140 Posts
Here's a 12-year-old thread where people were stretching the spring amongst other things.

FASS fuel pressure? | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Per this video you may be able to purchase a spring and fitting kit from FASS.

I had my block mounted pump removed (sits in the garage in a box) and replaced with a Fleece Delete. It's just a small bypass block.

· Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,365 Posts

· Registered
25,138 Posts
Installation sounds correct. Ole pumps should always be removed or bypassed. 26 is way high. VP symptoms sound correct for replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts