Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice 20" wheel with the right backspacing - I think I have found my rims!....Sorry, newbie questions here, but is there a difference between the Walker Evans street wheels and the beadlock wheels? On their website they look exactly the same to me!

If they are in fact the same, should I avoid this wheel because of having to re-torque all the time because they are beadlock? Will it cost a fortune to get tires mounted b/c they are beadlock? (well, who is counting the :$: anyways)

·
Registered
750 Posts
one is the real beadlock the other is an imitation beadlock gives you the look without the maintance

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
i dont think real beadlocks are DOT approved...unless you wheel that thing like a full on rock crawler, get the fake ones...you dont need the real ones unless your're running about 5 psi in those tires. that's what they are for, keeping the bead on at low pressure.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good - thanks for the info. I don't want or need real beadlock wheels that's for sure - I just like the look of the rim. But I don't want excessive weight, maintenance or torquing. :thumbsup

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
i had mickey thompson classic locks (they have the fake beadlock as well) and they worked out to be great. i think you'll be really happy with those wheels.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Oh good - thanks for the info. I don't want or need real beadlock wheels that's for sure - I just like the look of the rim. But I don't want excessive weight, maintenance or torquing. :thumbsup
While I agree that you don't need the real bead locks I thought I would contradict the maintenance side of bead locks. Most bead locks are an install it and forget it kind of item. Walker Evans build some of the better quality wheels. Maintenance is usually a 2x per year event.

If you don't want weight then it is probably best to look at a different rim than the WEs. :)

i dont think real beadlocks are DOT approved...

There are true bead locks that are DOT compliant. Check out Hutchinsons Rock monster wheels. :)

Rock Monster Wheels

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
thanks for the info dookey, i was unaware of that. you should post up some pics of the TJ you got in your sig:thumbsup

·
Registered
281 Posts
I posted a howdie dookey thread here with pics. :)

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/introductions/69313-dookey-power.html

My current wheels are very similar to the walker evans bead locks. They are both forged aluminum. Both have a bead retention lip. Both have a bolt on outer ring securing the bead to the wheel. I have a buddy with a set of WE bead locks. I checked torque on my bolts 1 time after install at about 100 miles. Then again at 500 miles. No change. :) Same with the WE on my buddies rig.

You can see the bolt holes here.

mounting the tire in my garage.

then sit back and let your wife do the rest of the work. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts