Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to have my 98 12 valve repainted but I need a new front bumper and all the plastics. I have seen a few 97 ram sport trucks at salvage yards and noticed that the front bumpers seem to just be the regular steel bumper but color matched im thinking? then in 99 they actually did a whole different front bumper for the sports? is that a plastic bumper cover on those? anyways it looks like the 99+ sport bumpers cost quite a bit on places like lmc. I would not actually mind a paintable steel bumper and grille and make my truck look as if it were the sport package from 1998. I just cant find much information about this topic. are both of these pictures I posted exactly what the older sports and the 99+ sports would look as far as what all was color matched? fyi I wont need the back bumper because I have a flatbed and I have already done the sport headlight conversion

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My 2002 is / was a Sport package. The grille and front bumper on the '99+ trucks are indeed different from non-Sport models. The grille is larger, and the front bumper has a relief molded into it to accommodate the larger grille. The red truck above is a correct example of a '99+ Sport model.

FYI- I converted my grille frame to use a non-Sport grille because I do not care for the look of the larger Sport grille.

·
White Lightning
13,141 Posts
One other thing I’ll toss in.....if your truck is an automatic, the transmission cooler lines won’t coexist with a fog lamp style bumper and fog lights through the 1998 MY.

Hard to find some of my older truck pictures, but I did find one of my 2000 RAM 2500 Quad Cab Flame Red Sport in my gallery from DTR.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks, I guess I would be lucky with that part because I have a manual transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2002 is / was a Sport package. The grille and front bumper on the '99+ trucks are indeed different from non-Sport models. The grille is larger, and the front bumper has a relief molded into it to accommodate the larger grille. The red truck above is a correct example of a '99+ Sport model.

FYI- I converted my grille frame to use a non-Sport grille because I do not care for the look of the larger Sport grille.
Thanks for the info. So is the 99+ sport front bumper just a plastic cover ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, It's a one piece bumper.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I can only speak with 100% certainty about my '02 Sport, but the original front bumper was a plastic bumper shell over a metal sub-frame. It was not a one piece bumper.

The original owner of my truck drilled several holes in the plastic shell, which is one of the reasons I replaced it. I can dig up pictures of my original Sport plastic shell and bumper sub-frame if you're intetested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only speak with 100% certainty about my '02 Sport, but the original front bumper was a plastic bumper shell over a metal sub-frame. It was not a one piece bumper.

The original owner of my truck drilled several holes in the plastic shell, which is one of the reasons I replaced it. I can dig up pictures of my original Sport plastic shell and bumper sub-frame if you're intetested.
thanks for that! I'm not sure whether I will need the pictures or not. I would not mind seeing them if its not too big of a deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other thing I’ll toss in.....if your truck is an automatic, the transmission cooler lines won’t coexist with a fog lamp style bumper and fog lights through the 1998 MY.

Hard to find some of my older truck pictures, but I did find one of my 2000 RAM 2500 Quad Cab Flame Red Sport in my gallery from DTR.

also your truck looks very nice I think

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is a good picture of mine. what do you guys think of how the sport front end would look on this?

·
White Lightning
13,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
thanks for that! I'm not sure whether I will need the pictures or not. I would not mind seeing them if its not too big of a deal.
Here are a few really old pictures which show the original silver Sport bumper, the metal sub-frame in black, the plastic bumper shell in primer.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been toying with this myself.

I HATE HATE HATE the stupid 3 piece bumper on our trucks with the crappy chrome piece with plastic tacked on the top AND bottom. What a stupid solution...and inevitably one of the plastic tabs will break and now it just looks peicemeal.

Sport bumpers look better, and like on that red truck (and the grey one) can look a heck of a lot better.

4th gen bumpers...I've seen 1 or 2 i liked but most look silly...I do like having an actual piece of metal on the front of the truck.

MOVE bumpers...I like the idea...haven't explored too much...but I like the way they look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One other thing I’ll toss in.....if your truck is an automatic, the transmission cooler lines won’t coexist with a fog lamp style bumper and fog lights through the 1998 MY
IDK, I installed a sport bumber & grille in my '97 and did not have a problem with the fog lights interfering with the cooler lines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts