1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 dual alternators
2000 miles
Truck sits for the week days 90% of the time , drive it on weekends mostly
I haven’t load tested the batteries yet.
Tried to start it last week and dash was going crazy , interior lights flashing etc
Battery volt 9.8 via dash.
Dealer won’t warranty them , which is crap.
Since installed a battery tender and took about 24 hours to fully charge and maintain
Sat this week with tender and fired right up.
Drove truck all day today shows 14.2 volt. Charging
Parked for about 2 hours and started truck volts were 10.8 at start up.

Anyone replace batteries yet , I know should t have to this early.

Thoughts on Odyssey batteries ? Can’t find any on their site for our trucks

What’s everyone using for a better than stock battery ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unusual for batteries to not hold a charge. If the tender charges them they must be good. If they go from 14.4 to 10.8 in 2 hours I would suspect something is draining them or one of them is shot. Suggest you go to an auto parts store and have them load test the batteries. If they test good you for sure have something on the truck draining them.

Why won't the dealer warranty them? What's their suggestion? Either there's more to the story or you have crap for a dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My truck had a battery go bad at about month 30 of ownership and the factory warranty applied. Mine is a 2018. I am pretty sure your warranty would apply too as long as they are the original batteries.

I was about to head to the auto parts store and buy two new batteries when I decided to take it into the dealership and it was totally covered.

I also think you either have a bad battery or something is drawing on it but either way take it to the dealership!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I think I’m gonna have to push this issue for sure.
Not sure what would drain them. .? Nothing aftermarket added.

And a question to clarify ? Battery tender hooked to one battery , I assume it will charge the one it’s hooked to first , then the second one .?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Batteries should be covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper. I had one go bad on my 2014 about 18 months in and they replaced it no questions asked. Push the dealer to replece or find a new dealer

·
Registered
77 Posts
Remilola;29270381 And a question to clarify ? Battery tender hooked to one battery said:
Any charger hooked up as you describe will charge both at the same time. The truck batteries are wired in parallel, they act as one.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Before you go back to the dealer, take a few minutes to read the fine print on your warranty. Several items are typically excluded from the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty - like batteries, tires, shocks, brake pads, etc. Some of these items may be covered by a separate manufacturer's warranty.

If your batteries check out OK, but won't hold a charge, you probably have some sort of parasitic drain. You can do a search on Youtube for "parasitic drain test" and see the procedure to identify the circuit that is drawing power with the key off. Check any added accessories first (lights, electric steps, etc.)

A bad cell in one of you batteries can cause a drain. Bad diode(s) in your alternator can do the same.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@MDSWA might be right on the fine print but two of us in this thread have had dealerships replace our defective batteries under warranty. Whether they should have or shouldn’t have done it I don’t know but I promise you the dealership didn’t eat the cost.

The service writer told me that the bumper to bumper warranty covers batteries in the first 36 months and said the manufacturer’s warranty would not have. Again, he might not be correct but there are clearly examples of this happening.

I say call your dealership and see what they say. They love warranty work—it pays well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Don't go by the dash for a battery test. Disconnect and use a voltmeter or have a load test done on them separately and disconnected, then take it back to dealer. Original batteries should be 3-36 warranty.
With a voltmeter they should be at least 12.6v after sitting fully charged over night or two. The dash will show proper charging voltage for alt but not the batteries becasue you are activating several systems including grid heaters and computers. You have to check the disconnected and separately with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
They should hold at least 3-4 weeks without charging if in good shape. More than that will bill be drawn by the system. Any good brand stock 27's (I think) is good. No need for fancy or overly expensive batteries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great reply’s.
I’m gonna head to my dealer tomorrow
Thanks again

·
US ARMY Retired
781 Posts
2000 miles
Tried to start it last week and dash was going crazy , interior lights flashing etc
Since installed a battery tender and took about 24 hours to fully charge and maintain

Thanks in advance.
If your dealer says that the batteries aren't covered under warranty with your miles and age...find a NEW dealer because they ARE covered under the 3/36 warranty. If your dealer doesn't know this....I wonder what else they don't know??? There has been a plethora of battery issues the past couple of years.....I think Ram is putting a barely enough battery from the factory. When they replaced my passenger side battery at 9 months the factory was a 730CCA and the smallest they had in my group size a 750CCA. If you have a good dealer its amazing what they can do for you covered under warranty...especially if the truck is less than 12 months/12,000 miles.

Please see the following link. Then post #7 it will redirect you to the story.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2019-general-discussion/2523979-battery-problems-my-19-a.html

·
Registered
341 Posts
With this virus thing my new Cummins has sat for over a week. No issues.

Bet if I had an issue I would disconnect each battery and check voltage one at a time. One may be pulling the other down and you should be able to find that

·
US ARMY Retired
781 Posts
With this virus thing my new Cummins has sat for over a week. No issues.

Bet if I had an issue I would disconnect each battery and check voltage one at a time. One may be pulling the other down and you should be able to find that
yeah...but aren't you in Florida? :stirpot:....just kidding....I think that if you have trouble it will be in August when its really hot. Extremes are what hardest on Battery's. I moved up to New Hampshire in July...my wife is Active Guard Reserve AGR...My truck spent the first 3 months in Savannah, GA. When mine failed it was below 15F (the teens were the highs)...and it hadn't been started for about 4-5 days. It was the passenger side. The dealer tested the driver side and said it was good (I wanted both replaced and they wouldn't replace the driver side). The other thing I have a fully loaded Laramie....too many bells and whistles drawing too much current....I think the Tradesmen owners will have less trouble...IMHO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine is a tradesman and it was also my passenger side that failed. They only replaced that one. Last summer (3 years later) my driver side finally failed. I went and replaced both of them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2000 miles

Thanks in advance.
Had the same problem, I constantly got the "Battery saver on" message. Dealer started by charging the batteries, then changed one, then the other. Problem kept coming back. Finally had a Check engin light come on. Turned out there was a short of some kind in a cable that runs from the DEF pump or system, it is located under the cover where the pump is.

Anyway, they changed the cable and did the lasted flash and it has been good since (1000km). There might be a short of some kind that is draining your batteries.

Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@OP, what was the issue?

·
Registered
341 Posts
OP was heading tot he dealer 9 days ago. Guess by now he found / fixed the problem. He just never came back to share the results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the delay guys. Been hectic with all this crap going on.
dealer said he will test the batteries when I bring it in for the new body mounts. ( that’s a whole other story in another chat on here. )
said he has to test each battery and produce a print out for Chrysler for proof if a battery is bad.
said they will be covered since it’s less than 12 months 12,000 miles.

still waiting for the last body mount to come in and I’ll get them checked out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Seems like numerous people posting with the same battery or battery draw problem. Let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts