Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been widely speculated for some time that the "rising oil level" syndrome was the result of fuel getting into the crankcase somehow as a result of the regen cycle.

For all of you running the DPF delete kits and who are no longer experiencing regens: Have you had the kit on long enough after a fresh oil change to notice if the oil level doesn't rise in your truck anymore?

·
Registered
63 Posts
deleted dpf owners

I noticed my oil stays alot !!!cleaner ,after 500 or so miles I can still see the white on the dipstick!this is also with the egr gone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
mine still rises, although not as much, the egr also contributes to the climbing oil and i have yet to delete it but i plan on it soon

·
Registered
655 Posts
Someone will have to explain to me how an engine going into regeneration, gets fuel into the oil. Regeneration happens in the exhaust down-stream of the turbo.
the regen cycles on these trucks injects fuel on the exhaust stroke, not post turbo like some setups do....so maybe that is why it happens, who really knows.

·
Registered
227 Posts
With the DPF delete oil now does not rise. It did before the delete.

·
Registered
286 Posts
wow funny u mention this...my truck is pissing oil out from somewhere by the ecm just above the oil pan

·
Registered
102 Posts
So my thought is the fact that the rings arn't broke in is gonna have some contribution to the oil level rising. I'm only at 3,500 miles but oil level didn't rise. My oil was pretty dirty when i changed it tho.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
just changed my oil, wow it was black. I never have noticed any rising though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm. So far the responses are all over the board. We have DPF deletes wheres the oil no longer rises, others where it still does but maybe not as bad, and stock rigs that don't seem to suffer the problem.

Maybe it really is a combination problem of rings seating in, regens and EGR's.

So for all you DPF deleters who also have EGR removed, let us know if you had the rising oil problem before you did your mods and if it is now gone away, plus how many miles you now have on your motor.

·
Registered
475 Posts
From looking at the dpf you can see the fuel lines going to your dpf, follow where they go, just maybe some of the regen soot may go into the oil as does the egr. I took off my dpf after 37k and the egt sensor area around the inside walls... squeaky clean, but the downpipe from the turbo, and the dpf inlet was caked with soot. It had a different odor than our 5.9, maybe something to do with the egr?

Like'm or not these emmissions systems on our truck are pretty amazing. They should have concentrated on consumption (mpg's) before emmissions.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Who has what brand DPF delete kit? How big of power increase did you see? and last how much improvement in your fuel economy change?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I have the H&S 4" kit and with all my mods i am seeing an average of 17 MPG city driving. Before any modes it was near 13-14.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm just curious about all these problems I hear about (rising oil pressure, regen, bad turbo's, leaking/spitting oil, etc). I got 130,000 miles on my 6.7L and I haven't had any of these problems. Do these problems occur when you do the Mods? or are they just occuring with the guys that just drive there truck back and forth from work?

I just talked to Kevin today @ K2 and I am going to some mods on but I don't want to have these problems I keep hearing about. I use my truck everyday for hard towing and can't afford to be sitting on the side of the road with issues. I would love to hear some feedback about this. Only mods I have done are an AFE filter & exhaust.

Thanks
Jeremiah

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I'm just curious about all these problems I hear about (rising oil pressure, regen, bad turbo's, leaking/spitting oil, etc). I got 130,000 miles on my 6.7L and I haven't had any of these problems. Do these problems occur when you do the Mods? or are they just occuring with the guys that just drive there truck back and forth from work?

I just talked to Kevin today @ K2 and I am going to some mods on but I don't want to have these problems I keep hearing about. I use my truck everyday for hard towing and can't afford to be sitting on the side of the road with issues. I would love to hear some feedback about this. Only mods I have done are an AFE filter & exhaust.

Thanks
Jeremiah
The reason that you have not seen problems is that you are towing all the time. Also are you towing at max weight?
Because I think you are.:beer

·
Registered
331 Posts
pbjinc it also depends on the truck you got. A lot of the 07.5 were hit and miss. Some were lemons some ran perfect like yours. If its a to the job type driving truck then as long as your going over 50-60 you should still be getting the regens and heat needed for it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The reason that you have not seen problems is that you are towing all the time. Also are you towing at max weight?
Because I think you are.:beer
Yes I tow 90% of the time. I have hauled loads on my trailer up to 25k. I have also let the truck idle @ truck stops for 12hrs straight. I have 3300 hrs on the motor. I'm glad I am one of the lucky few. I'm ready to start with the "serious mods" now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cummins built the engines for pullin weight good distances, they were not exactly designed for daily in-town hot-roddin! Like the majority of Us and yes I did say Us, meaning me too, put them through on a daily basis, I think that is what a lot of people dont realize!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts