Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Smarty on the way :headbang: and I have a couple questions. After reading heavily on the MADS website, I saw that it says that the Smarty "has all the latest stock softwares already on board. When you choose
to return the truck back to stock, Smarty takes the stock software from it's memory and updates the ECM with that
software
."

Since my truck is the Standard Output with 250hp, does the Smarty differentiate between the different years and different power levels, or is there only one "updated software" in the Smarty memory? I ask because it seems like you would either have to tell the Smarty what year your truck is, or it just loads the software the same for every truck. This would mean that while setting it back to "stock", it would load the stock settings for the newest trucks, i.e. 325hp and 610 torque. Is this what happens?

If I install the Smarty, run on SW 3 or something, then set it back to stock, will it not be truly stock meaning will I have the software for the 325hp trucks instead of my original 250hp? Will it add a 3rd injection event?

Any information on what happens or how it works, as well as any other information would be great! Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
When your smarty is programming your truck it saves your trucks stock parameters, so lets say you load sw3 and then return it to stock your truck will be stock, now lets say your buddy wants to try out your smarty on his new 07 5.9 after you have removed it from your truck, while he downloads it on his truck the smarty will now download his stock parameters from his truck onto the smarty and return it to stock after he removes it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im pretty sure the smarty can tell which model your truck is, it definitely can tell what year your truck is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if it resets an SO to HO specs, wouldn't that make it rather easy to detect at a dealer?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When your smarty is programming your truck it saves your trucks stock parameters, so lets say you load sw3 and then return it to stock your truck will be stock, now lets say your buddy wants to try out your smarty on his new 07 5.9 after you have removed it from your truck, while he downloads it on his truck the smarty will now download his stock parameters from his truck onto the smarty and return it to stock after he removes it.
I don't think it downloads your truck's parameters because it says on their website that the protocol in the ECM does not allow it to read flash memory. Perhaps since it is VIN locked, it goes by basic VIN knowledge of the different years.

I too would agree that if it set my truck back to stock with the HO numbers, a dealer would notice that. At least a dealer that knew anything about what the different years had, would notice.

So I would think that if it sets my truck back to stock using the HO numbers, I wouldn't have my stock power rating back. If I were to sell the Smarty after returning it to stock, it would remain HO unless I had a dealer reflash the ECM.

I have the "extended warranty" on the truck, which has about 2 years and 20,000 miles left.

Thanks for the comments and the help!

·
Registered
708 Posts
It would leave a stock updated tune FOR A SO, not a HO just like it would an 03 vs an 07. Come on guys your acting like it's going to update your SO to a HO, not gonna happen.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
well, I can't find the post on TDR where Bob said it would load back to HO specs, so I'll bow out and say that it returns it to SO specs...

maybe the 235 trucks get returned to 250? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
does it really matter? we buy the smarty for the performance correct? If you want the 305 hp tune for your 250 then go to the dealer and they will charge you 75.00 instead of the 685.00 smarty gets you for.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does it really matter? we buy the smarty for the performance correct? If you want the 305 hp tune for your 250 then go to the dealer and they will charge you 75.00 instead of the 685.00 smarty gets you for.
No, it doesn't really matter. I was just curious how the system works and figured a few people who have experienced it may be able to answer some questions. But crapping all over my question is good too...

Sometimes I don't understand why people post if all they are going to do is shoot down an idea, a question, or imply that what the original poster has asked is a waste of their time and is stupid. :rant:

Thank you to those who provided some useful input! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
708 Posts
well, I can't find the post on TDR where Bob said it would load back to HO specs, so I'll bow out and say that it returns it to SO specs...

maybe the 235 trucks get returned to 250? :shrug:
THe thing is there is more than just programming parameters causing the difference between a 305HO and a 235 or 250SO(there are different pistons, the exhaust is in some cases different w/CAT and a couple of other things that have slipped my mind). Plus the Smarty modifies only parts of the ECM, it would require a complete ECM or PCM reprogram or a new ECM/PCM to get the HO tuning/programming and you still wouldn't have a HO. Yes the Smarty brings the power levels up higher on the SO, bringing them closer to what an HO w/ Smarty might have, but it can't make your SO a HO under any circumstances; this was my only point.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
THe thing is there is more than just programming parameters causing the difference between a 305HO and a 235 or 250SO(there are different pistons, the exhaust is in some cases different w/CAT and a couple of other things that have slipped my mind). Plus the Smarty modifies only parts of the ECM, it would require a complete ECM or PCM reprogram or a new ECM/PCM to get the HO tuning/programming and you still wouldn't have a HO. Yes the Smarty brings the power levels up higher on the SO, bringing them closer to what an HO w/ Smarty might have, but it can't make your SO a HO under any circumstances; this was my only point.
the oiling nozzles are different IIRC, but the piston bowl and injectors are the same on the 03-04's

early HO's had the same turbos and exhaust as the SO's... no CAT until 04.5.

you can program an early ECM with HO parameters, and the engine will act as an HO.

·
Registered
708 Posts
the oiling nozzles are different IIRC, but the piston bowl and injectors are the same on the 03-04's

early HO's had the same turbos and exhaust as the SO's... no CAT until 04.5.

you can program an early ECM with HO parameters, and the engine will act as an HO.
Not entirely true, I can show you a cat from an 03SO and I can show you a couple other trucks w/ cats still attached (03s), they were just like some of the 02s that had cats.

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
10,680 Posts
Are those on cali emission trucks though? I have an 03 SO that didn't have the cat on it when i bought it and it was the oem exhaust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts