Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been dealing with this vibration for some time now, tried about everything I can think of. It is not all the time, only vibrates half the time, and only at speeds from 62-68 roughly. For instance, it wont vibrate in the morning, and it does usually in the afternoon on the way home from work. Its so bad it shakes the passenger seat from side to side, the steering wheel shakes and the dash shakes bad. Had the tires inspected, balanced, rotated. Wheel bearings checked. New steering stabilizer. All the tie rod ends checked, most replaced. New steering gearbox. Rear end checked, rear brakes replaced, carrier bearing checked, ujoints checked. Could it be suspension, track bar (supposedly good). Im tired of this, and cant find a shop who can figure it out.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Does it make any difference accelerating, coasting, or braking?
If you throw it in nuetral, does it change?
Does it change if you turn slightly in either direction?
Does it do it at the same place on the road, or anywhere, any road?
Did rotating the tires change anything?
How's the shocks?
Have you had someone wobble the steering back and forth while you look for slop anywhere? Especially the track bar.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It vibrates just the same at 62-68 mph, regardless of accelerating, braking or coasting, when it is shaking.
When it is vibrating, and I hit a sharp curve, it does seem to make it worse temporarily, while going through the curve.
It does it anywhere in the road, but like I said, some days it will, other days it wont.
Nothing has helped so far.
Shocks seem ok.
I had a reputible shop check everything in the steering/suspension, but Im wondering if they missed the track bar, or improperly checked a component.
Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just seems like with it being only a sometimes thing, not EVERY time I drive, that it would be easier to identify. Would it make sense that if it were cool out, and the truck hadnt been run in 12 hours, there is no vibration/ wobble, but at the end of a hot day, its there.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Have someone wobble the steering wheel back and forth, and look in over the tire at the frame end of the trackbar. If theres noticeable slop, it's bad.
What's your tire pressure?
And how's your shocks?

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
42psi?? I have mine at 60. You have a 6,000 lb truck, not a car, get that pressure up.
Don't know if it'll make any difference, but try it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Yeah..you should be running tire pressure alot higher. A client of mine has an 05 3/4 ton, that had a terrible wobble at 50-60, and again over 80. They replaced everything, and never solved it. He later took his truck to a better tire shop where the tech's found that the tires were not balanced. they put on new tires, and did a high speed balance. The problem immediately went away. Some tire shops have older equipment that do not do a very good job balancing larger truck tires. Hopefully that helps you out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill try it at higher psi, ill set em at 60. Wierd thing is, yesterday and today I didnt feel any shake, it comes and goes by the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts