Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the main power dist. box behind driver's side battery, there are two large cables running into and out of the box. The red feeds power from left battery. The other is black and goes into the wiring harness. They are fused with a 120amp fuse. Here's the question: what does the black cable feed and why on earth would Dodge have used a black cable for power in an automotive application? Where is the power block grounded?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
397 Posts
At the main power dist. box behind driver's side battery, there are two large cables running into and out of the box. The red feeds power from left battery. The other is black and goes into the wiring harness. They are fused with a 120amp fuse. Here's the question: what does the black cable feed and why on earth would Dodge have used a black cable for power in an automotive application? Where is the power block grounded
That black cable is the alternator feed cable. Follow it from alternator to wiring harness to PDC. The fuse protects the system.

My Ford tractor has black battery cables for both the positive and negative. They both parallel each other as they run to the starter. Positive connects to solenoid and negative to starter case. This is all hidden by the water separator and fuel filter. It is difficult to see what goes where. Red positive should have been a no brainer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah, i had this issue too. got batteries with terminals on the opposite sides, had to re route a ground on drivers side, not thinking, figured black on that circuit was ground, well needles to say my volt guage and alternator werent happy for about a week until i realized that both wires were hot..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. I ran into it when wiring up my 7 blade trailer plug. I ran an 8ga. wire to the front and terminated it into the black "ground" in the pdc. You know what happens when you assume, right? Fortunately all I had was a live ground, no trailer functions, and a real stupid feeling. If I was paying attention, I would have noticed the 120 amp fuse staring me in the face. :eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.